[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Check mail dropdown list blank after copying to new PC

Check mail dropdown list blank after copying to new PC

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Check mail dropdown list blank after copying to new PC

Postby dashdashdot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:34 am

I've just got a new PC with Vista installed.

I backed up all my Pocomail data from my old install on my XP machine, installed Pocomail on the Vista machine and restored from the backup.

Most things seem to be working OK, but the dropdown list next to the check mail icon is blank. There are clearly accounts in the list, because if I move the pointer down and click, pocomail checks whatever account should appear there. But the list looks empty. Also, I'm not getting any tool tips when I hover over the icons, which I was getting before.

What could be causing this? It's a bit of a pain because I quite frequently just check one of my many accounts.

Can anyone help?

lynn
xxxx

PS - I'm using v4.1.0 if that makes any difference.
dashdashdot
Poco Tourist

Re: Check mail dropdown list blank after copying to new PC

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:28 am

dashdashdot wrote:What could be causing this? It's a bit of a pain because I quite frequently just check one of my many accounts.
Haven't a clue what's causing it, but I suspect a corrupt poco.ini file. :?
PS - I'm using v4.1.0 if that makes any difference.
First of all download PocoMail 4.8.

Next install this build into a new folder, so don't overwrite your current version.

Afterwards import everything, except 'Program preferences and settings'.

When everything works as it should, you can take screenshots of your Options or note them down, so you can quickly set it up in this new version.

:!: If you don't want to update your current version, ignore the above and perform the following:

1. Close Poco first.
2. Rename poco.ini to poco_old.ini
3. Restart Poco now
Prior to renaming that file, it would be best to take screenshots of your Options or noting them down.

Hope that helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby dashdashdot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:58 am

It's not a corrupt ini file.

Forcing my current version to create a new poco.ini file didn't correct the problem.

I then installed the latest version but imported everything INCLUDING the settings, to see what would happen, and that corrected the problem. So, as that new install is using my old poco.ini file there can't be a problem with the file.

I'd rather not upgrade because every time I have done so in the past there have been bugs, and my current version has worked fine for ages, but it doesn't look like I have much choice if you don't know what's causing my blank check mail list!

lynn
xxxx
dashdashdot
Poco Tourist

Postby dashdashdot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:35 am

By the way...I have just noticed that it's not just the check mail dropdown list that's blank in the old version. The others (New Mail and Forward) are blank too.

Although I have my dropdown lists back by upgrading to the latest version, I still don't have the tooltips. I've tried unchecking the "show tooltips" option and then re-enabling it, but that doesn't make any difference.

lynn
dashdashdot
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:44 pm

dashdashdot wrote:Although I have my dropdown lists back by upgrading to the latest version, I still don't have the tooltips. I've tried unchecking the "show tooltips" option and then re-enabling it, but that doesn't make any difference.
Good to know you've got your dropdown list back. :)

It's however strange that your tooltips don't show up, as they do with my version.

Any chance you're using something like WindowBlinds or some other tool to skin Poco?
If you do, exclude it from being skinned.

:idea: Else uncheck 'Show Tooltips' and close Poco.
Restart Poco, check it again and close Poco.
Restart again.

Maybe someone else has another suggestion, so this problem can be fixed.

Have a nice sunday. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:50 am

Pocomail 4.1 was not Vista compatible. (Though there is a workaround how to make all the buttons display, I'd recommend Pocomail 4.8 over 4.1 for Vista powered computer).

I'm lost as for the tooltips. Admittedly I never used it and don't have a much clue about what it really does.
The only difference I could find is that with tooltips enabled, I can see a small textual description when hovering with mouse over the mini toolbar icons on the message preview pane (Download Images, Message Junk,...). Is that what you had on mind, did I miss something, or couldn't it be that you wanted something else? (Text labels on main toolbar, or Help on the fly, are the closest functions.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To