[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Proxy Setting Not Working?

Proxy Setting Not Working?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Proxy Setting Not Working?

Postby pocodog » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm feeling a bit dumb at the moment...

It would seem to run poco's connections through a proxy server I would simply need to enter the proxy's data under the "Network Settings" of the "Options" menu, correct?

No matter what I enter, it seems Poco ignores it. I've tried entering nonsense numbers and characters as a test and Pocomail connects and successfully downloads my mail...am I missing something?

I'd like to make sure my network traffic is running through my proxy and not my default connection.

I appreciate any insight into this and hopefully, I'm just missing something stupid.
pocodog
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:16 am

It's such a rarely used feature that I had to think about it for some time myself.

Well, it's a http proxy - it's only for the http connection. Http is the kind of connection that web browser makes, ie. it's not for email download (which can be pop3 or imap connection), but it's mostly for viewing images located online - usually those found in commercial newsletters.

Should you wish Pocomail to use a proxy email server (if that's how it's called), you shall change the server name directly in the account settings.
(Close example would be perhaps running a SpamBayes antispam, which is defacto a kind of email proxy. I have set localhost in account settings in Pocomail for incoming server, and the real incoming server for that account is then set in SpamBayes.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Proxy Setting Not Working?

Postby torros » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 am

Hi:

recently, my employer changed the connection to the internet - now all internet traffic needs to go through a proxy server. Hence, in order to get access to internet with PocoMail, I need to configure the proxy connection.

I know the IP address of the proxy server, which I have entered under the "Network Settings" of the "Options" menu. However, as pocodog mentions, nothing changes - in my case I have no connection. Apparently, the connection is not diverted through the proxy server, because nothing changes when trying different IP addresses of different proxy servers also when connecting at home.

My question: how exactly does the proxy connection work? Has someone experience with it?

Thanks a lot for your help. I would really appreciate if I could use PocoMail through the proxy server (which now is the only way to access the internet for me).

Best,
torros

PS Using the same proxy setting with other programs (e.g. STATA) works perfectly.

PS2 Here are the settings from the poco.ini file:

ProxyHost=158.169.XXX.XX
ProxyPort=8012
ProxyUsername=XXXXXX
ProxyPassword=XXXXXX
torros
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To