[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail using huge amount of CPU

Pocomail using huge amount of CPU

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail using huge amount of CPU

Postby winmorgan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi,

I just started having weird problems with Pocomail which I love and which has caused no problems in several years. There are several things going on:

1. The status bar indicates that Pocomail seems to stall when retrieving messages. For example, it would get to 22% done and then just seem to hang on what it said was message #92 of 178. One thing I tried was going to webmail via my site hoster and deleting the one message (an "already fetched" message) shere it seemed to always stall. This didn't help; it just started "stalling" on another message.

2. It's now taking up over 90% of CPU usage. Windows task manager shows up as all light green (the little status icon in the system tray) and when I open Windows task manager fully it shows Pocomail using 92 to 95% of system resources. this is true whether it's checking mail or just open. Naturally, this slows everything down tremendously.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Win
winmorgan
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Pocomail using huge amount of CPU

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:10 am

Hi Win,
winmorgan wrote:I just started having weird problems with Pocomail which I love and which has caused no problems in several years.
Sorry to hear you're having problems with it. :?

Did you install, update anything?
1. The status bar indicates that Pocomail seems to stall when retrieving messages. For example, it would get to 22% done and then just seem to hang on what it said was message #92 of 178. One thing I tried was going to webmail via my site hoster and deleting the one message (an "already fetched" message) shere it seemed to always stall. This didn't help; it just started "stalling" on another message.
Use the Online folders to delete those offending messages. Mostly it's spam which causes problems on your server. :evil:
2. It's now taking up over 90% of CPU usage. Windows task manager shows up as all light green (the little status icon in the system tray) and when I open Windows task manager fully it shows Pocomail using 92 to 95% of system resources. this is true whether it's checking mail or just open. Naturally, this slows everything down tremendously.
Use something like Process Explorer to see which process is taken up so much system resources.
Could be a conflict with another program running on your PC.

:idea: Else try the following:
1. Close Poco first.
2. Rename poco.ini to poco_old.ini
3. Restart Poco now
Prior to renaming that file, it would be best to take screenshots of your Options or noting them down.

Give as much information about what you're seeing, as well as programs running in the background.

Let me know what it gives. ;)
Eric

Postby aderoy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:45 am

One thing I have found: using Threded views will max out my system.

CPU will peg 100% for minutes at a time (depends on number of messages per folder), memory will reach 425MB (out of 1GB RAM). Minimize to tray then reopen will release memory.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To