[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - unable to delete mai Win XP Pro SP3 PocoMail 4.8 4400l

unable to delete mai Win XP Pro SP3 PocoMail 4.8 4400l

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

unable to delete mai Win XP Pro SP3 PocoMail 4.8 4400l

Postby hhiralph » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:17 am

When I select an email in the preview pane and press Delete, PocoMail stops responding and launches another instance of PocoMail which also shows Not Responding (in task manager). I can observe this happening in taskmanager. I again downloaded and reinstalled the latest version of Pocomail with no change in results. So I reinstalled 3.5 and still see the same results. Attempts to delete other files or to move them to the trash folder get same results.

The first instance of this behaviour occurred when I tried to delete an email of questionable character. I was cautious about downloading it but it was from a friend in my address book so I did allow it. The headers show an IP address appropriate for hargray.com as the originator. It was never out of the preview pane and I never clicked on the attached file (.JPG). nor the URL link. After the trouble began, I phoned my friend and he said he had sent a number of emails on Sunday and wasn't sure if he sent this one. Neither BitDefender, MalwareBytes, nor Spybot Search & Destroy find any malware.

Hope someone can help!
hhiralph
New Arrival

Re: unable to delete mai Win XP Pro SP3 PocoMail 4.8 4400l

Postby Tomas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:31 am

hhiralph wrote:When I select an email in the preview pane and press Delete, PocoMail stops responding and launches another instance of PocoMail which also shows Not Responding (in task manager). I can observe this happening in taskmanager. I again downloaded and reinstalled the latest version of Pocomail with no change in results. So I reinstalled 3.5 and still see the same results. Attempts to delete other files or to move them to the trash folder get same results.

First make a good backup of your data. You can run from menu File > Backup and Restore > Backup, if you have regular backups setup in Pocomail make sure to do this one to a different destination.

Next run from menu Folder > Compress All Folders.

Once compression is finished, try to delete an email.
If it still freezes the program, shut it down using Task manager, start again. Now go to some other folder and check whether the problem also happens when deleting from some other folder, or if it's only one particular folder.

(If you don't have any message to be deleted in any other folder (ie. all are valuable), you can move some message from Trash there, or you can CTRL+C and CTRL+V which will create a copy of a message that you can then use "to play with it".)

Please let me know if it's with all folders, or whether it's just one folder.

If it only started happening today, I'd also suggest to try to restart the computer (while Pocomail is closed), maybe that alone oculd help depending on what's the cause of the problem.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

unable to delete email

Postby hhiralph » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:22 am

Thomas,

Thanks for responding. One of the first things I did was to compress the In folder where I first experienced the problem. I just completed your suggested Compress All Folders and, Glory Be!!!, delete works just fine now in several different folders and on the suspect email in the in box. You are a prince in my book!!! Thank you very much!.

Gratefully,

Ralph
hhiralph
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:34 am

You are welcome, glad to hear it helped and that there wasn't some more complicated problem behind!
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To