[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Upgraded to Windows 7 - Major Problem

Upgraded to Windows 7 - Major Problem

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Upgraded to Windows 7 - Major Problem

Postby mystikmedia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:15 am

I finally decided to install one of my test versions of Windows 7 yesterday. I had tried it once previously, but won't get into that here. Basically, I got mail up and running with no problem, and it seemed to be functioning fine. However, when I rebooted Windows a bit ago, and went back in to PocoMail, all the mail that had been checked in was gone! It was about 78 unread mail. Any thoughts?
mystikmedia
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 am

Windows 7 isn't released yet, so bugs may still occur. :?
As for your mail, could you tell me if those messages were all inside one folder or several?

Did you try a compress first, else ...

If one, close Poco and navigate to your mail directory.
Delete the *.idb index file for that mailbox and restart afterwards.

If that doesn't fix it, then it could be anything within Windows 7. :?
Eric

Postby mystikmedia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am

I only lost mail in the inbox, I believe. Everything else was saved from before Windows 7 was loaded, though. So, whatever happened, you'd expect that only that mail would be gone. I had tried the compact thing before posting...I remembered something from a long time ago where that helped mail reappear when it had gone missing, but it didn't help this time. I also tried deleting the .idb file, but couldn't see any difference.

Luckily, I had a backup plan in place for such cases as this (or a system problem to restore mail received between the last backup and the problem). I have a copy of all incoming mail sent to a backup mailbox that I can re-check in as needed. So, I went in and deleted all mail from before the problem in the backup mailbox via web mail, and then re-checked the mail into PocoMail. I have all the mail in there again now. I have closed PocoMail a few times, and rebooted. The mail is still there this time. I wish I knew what happened so that I could take every effort to prevent it from ever happening again...but, at least I am back in business now.
mystikmedia
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:16 am

mystikmedia wrote:I only lost mail in the inbox, I believe.
So the others weren't affected by it :?:
Everything else was saved from before Windows 7 was loaded, though. So, whatever happened, you'd expect that only that mail would be gone. I had tried the compact thing before posting...I remembered something from a long time ago where that helped mail reappear when it had gone missing, but it didn't help this time. I also tried deleting the .idb file, but couldn't see any difference.
Since I haven't tried Windows 7 yet, I can only guess. Maybe it's Windows or an incompatibility with Barca on that new OS. However that doesn't explain why your other folders weren't affected too. :?
Luckily, I had a backup plan in place for such cases as this (or a system problem to restore mail received between the last backup and the problem).
When you're testing software or in this case a new OS, it's recommended to have a backup, image. Even if you're simply using your computer, you need to have a restore, in case something happens.
For me that's FirstDefense or Rollback Rx and last option is images taken at regular intervals with ShadowProtect, allthough I've never had to restore an image. :lol:
I have closed PocoMail a few times, and rebooted. The mail is still there this time. I wish I knew what happened so that I could take every effort to prevent it from ever happening again...but, at least I am back in business now.
It seems to me that it wasn't Windows 7 nor Barca's fault.
Good advise is to keep an eye on it. Take regular backups/images and in case you do find the culprit, report it to Microsoft and PSI.

Take care. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:31 am

Apart from it being some very bad crash case, I could only think of one possibility: similar problems might happen if data are under Program Files path, and not in the other directories (recommended at the time of installation).

On a sidenote, in some cases it helps to rename file with .~mbx extension (which is an automatic backup file created at the time of compression) to .mbx.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby mystikmedia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 pm

I do have online backup from Mozy Pro I use normally, but it would not have backed up between the time Poco was put on and the problem occurred. Plus, I didn't have it installed yet at that time.

What Tomas mentioned is along the lines of what I was thinking. I was setup as an Administrator user, but UAC was still active before the reboot. So, not sure if it was having trouble actually writing to the folder (my data is indeed in C:\Program Files (x86)\PocoMail4\Mail) before I disabled UAC.
mystikmedia
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:35 pm

That was it, at least a significant part of the problem.
I'm not that deeply acquainted with Windows Vista and W7, maybe Admin rights + UAC off alone might solve the issue, but if you want to be completely safe and don't mind storing data elsewhere, in Options, Directories page, you shall see a link offering data migration to a Vista/W7 compatible location.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby ianw » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:10 pm

Reading this reminded me of an experience I had about 2 weeks ago in W7 x64 7100.
First, due to the way my 2 mailboxes are setup in my ISP when I get an email, I actually get 2, one is an exact copy of the other.

Anyway, I got an email - actually 2 as above- then Poco mail went a very pale shade of the colours that I have it setup, I tried to close Pocomail (latest version) but only did so with difficulty and I'm not even sure what closed it.

I restarted the PC and in Poco the 2 emails were gone, I searched everywhere (obviously almost everywhere) but I couldn't find them.

Nothing more could I do so I carried on working in my PC, a couple of hours later I opened Poco and there were the 2 "missing" emails in the IN folder.

Unless it happens again I'll never know what happened and why.
ianw

Postby Tomas » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:01 am

ianw wrote:I restarted the PC and in Poco the 2 emails were gone, I searched everywhere (obviously almost everywhere) but I couldn't find them.

Nothing more could I do so I carried on working in my PC, a couple of hours later I opened Poco and there were the 2 "missing" emails in the IN folder.

Unless it happens again I'll never know what happened and why.

The only possibility that came to my mind is that in the meantimeautomatic folder compression was run.
(Folder compression, depending on the exact cause of the problem, might help with similar cases of data seemingly lost.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To