[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - viewing html mail in plain text

viewing html mail in plain text

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

viewing html mail in plain text

Postby jaypea500 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:02 am

my former email clients (calypso/courier and thunderbird/postbox) allowed me to view mail sent in html as plain text. this was a global setting, not per message. how do I do this in poco? I'm new to poco and I tried searching for the answer, but either I wasn't phrasing it right or the search engine isn't interpreting it properly.

thanks for the assistance...

...joe
jaypea500
Drop-in Visitor

How to Change Your Text

Postby roadrunner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:19 pm

Hello,

Go to Tools, Options, Category: Sending Mail, Message Format; and then on your right a window, Always Use This Message Format. You will have three choices: Just Styled, Just Plain, and Just Plain and Styled.

Have a wonderful day.
roadrunner
Poco Tourist

Postby jaypea500 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm

thanks roadrunner. but that setting doesn't work for incoming mail, only outgoing. what I want to do is read html mail sent to me in plain text. and I'd like to set that globally, rather than per message. I was able to do this in other clients--I just can't figure how to do that in poco.

thanks...

...joe
jaypea500
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:53 pm

jaypea500 wrote:what I want to do is read html mail sent to me in plain text. and I'd like to set that globally, rather than per message. I was able to do this in other clients--I just can't figure how to do that in poco.
Just select to ignore HTML. :)

Or create an incoming filter to strip HTML and put it on top of the list.
Eric

Postby jaypea500 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:36 am

thanks much eric. unfortunately, when I select that I get a totally empty message--no text at all. anything else I might try?
jaypea500
Drop-in Visitor

Postby aderoy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:36 am

If totally blank, means the e-mail was sent as HTML only (this is a problem with most webmail systems). Can you say Microsoft Live mail?

Just as when you compose and send an e-mail it can be: plain text, plain text with style (HTML), or just styled.

Also, if say from Starbucks, they send basically an image not text.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby jaypea500 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:15 am

one would figure though, that if calypso/courier/thunderbird/postbox all were able to present HTML email as plain text, poco should be able to do it as well.
jaypea500
Drop-in Visitor

Postby aderoy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:23 am

Could they be converting to plain text on the fly? Sylpheed/Mulberry and Alpine does this for me.

Since Thunderbird and Postbox share the same code base (Postbox is based on Thunderbird with some enchancements).

May have to investigate this deeper myself to doublecheck. Just offered a possible reason why.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To