[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - No Send Page/MAPI......a workaround!!!!

No Send Page/MAPI......a workaround!!!!

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

No Send Page/MAPI......a workaround!!!!

Postby Hannah215 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:04 am

Hello everyone,

I am a new Pocomail user, and have found the lack of MAPI compatability frustrating and dissappointing! So I set out to find an acceptable workaround for this issue....to use, until simple MAPI is added to Pocomail. I am loving all the great features of Pocomail, more everyday as I discover them. So,it was very important to me, to find a way to regain a feature that I use so much!

I have spent hours on Google, and have finally found two free little programs that serve as a workaround. One I have tried, and know that it works....but it only works with XP. It is very basic and simple....it simply switches your default email client, with one click!
You also have to have a MAPI email client installed, for this to work
for our purpose. (I still have Outlook Express installed).

The name of the first program (that I am using), is DefaultMail. It's home page is: windowsxp.mvp.org/defaultmail.htm. Or you can Google it, and find it on different sites.

Here is how I use it......after I downloaded and opened it, I pulled its shortcut icon down into the system tray. When I have a page, link or picture that I want to send, I simply click on DM's shortcut icon...and it pops up in a very small window, then I select Outlook Express(from a list) as the default.....then the normal file....send as....page...and OE's box opens up, and I send! Then, you can click back on DefaultMail's icon, and change the default back to Pocomail. It couldn't be simplier.....for a "workaround". When you install DefaultMail, it makes a list of all the email programs on your system, and you can pick from that list when it is opened. I have only been testing it for a couple of hours.....but so far so good! It does exactly what I have been looking for.

The other program I found (but haven't tried yet), is called Affixa. It is alot more complex, but I believe it can be used on most operating systems. It was designed to combine all of your email programs....including web mail....into one utility, to give you the ability to "mail-to" from any of them. It is much more feature packed
than Default mail, but it is also free. Well, there is a pay version as well.....but it is a very small cost. The free version would be enough
I'm sure. I emailed it's support/developer, with a lot of questions, to find out if it would be a good workaround for Pocomail users. He answered me back with "I think Affixa should do exactly what you are looking for". The only hesitation I have, is that Affixa has to be set as the default mail application.....then you configure your own email programs within it. That is because (I think), you can use web mail with it. Since I don't use web mail (and I use XP), the smaller program is working great for me. You will just need to take a look at both of them, to decide which one would work best for you.

The home page for Affixa is: affixa.com. You will probably want to Google it as well, to get more information.

Well, I guess that is all. I sure hope this information will help a lot of fellow Pocomail users......very frustrated users, (over this MAPI issue) I might add!!!! I was just about to give up, and put Pocomail on the shelf, until MAPI is added......but I am glad that I persevered and found these workarounds.

Let us keep prevailing on Pocomail's developers, to please add MAPI as fast as possible....at least make it an option, so we can have the choice of using it or not. One thing that I really appreciate about Pocomail, is the great support that is given!! My heartfelt thanks go out to Tomas, who has been such a help to me
in learning how to use Pocomail.

I do hope that one of these workarounds will help you.
Hannah215
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To