[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Problem with attachments and moving to new partition

Problem with attachments and moving to new partition

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Problem with attachments and moving to new partition

Postby stuart_rogers » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 am

Unfortunately when I first installed Pocomail I separated my attachments but now I find a problem when I want to move my poco work folders to a new partition. They are currently on an E disk and the new one is O (and no I cannot swap disk letters as other things rely on these ids). If I start Poco and use the new O disk it still goes looking for the E disk for attachments.

The simplest thing would be to recombine the emails and attachments I guess, can this be done? The other option would be to be able to export the emails and include their attachments. Failing that is there anything which can change the info in each email to correct the location of the attachment?

The first two options would be preferable since I am likely to move to Linux in the not too distant future and recombining the email and attachment would enable this as well,.
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Problem with attachments and moving to new partition

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 am

stuart_rogers wrote:and no I cannot swap disk letters as other things rely on these ids
This however would be the easiest method to solve that problem. :?
The simplest thing would be to recombine the emails and attachments I guess, can this be done?
AFAIK it can be done.
Perhaps you only need to change the header, so Poco can find that decoded attachment again. :)

See also Reattaching attachments to messages
The other option would be to be able to export the emails and include their attachments. Failing that is there anything which can change the info in each email to correct the location of the attachment?
You'll only need to change the location of those attachments in the header of your message.
Maybe it can be done with a script, although not sure here. :?
The first two options would be preferable since I am likely to move to Linux in the not too distant future and recombining the email and attachment would enable this as well,.
The best way would be to keep your attachments within the messages (encoded), so you won't have to change anything.

Hope that helps. ;)
Eric

Postby stuart_rogers » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions Eric, however none of them are really solutions. I think by default Pocomail should not allow attachments to be removed, or provide a way of re-combining them into the original emails later. I could edit the x-poco headers but that does not solve the Linux issue where any new email program will not be able to find the relevant attachments (there is no Linux Pocomail and please dont suggest Wine, the whole point of going Linux is to move away from Windows and all its apps).

Its also a problem having orphan attachments as Pocomail does not delete them which in my view it should do, or at least ask, when you delete emails.

Stuart
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:56 am

stuart_rogers wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Eric, however none of them are really solutions.
You're welcome Stuart. ;)
Sorry none really helped you further.
I think by default Pocomail should not allow attachments to be removed, or provide a way of re-combining them into the original emails later.
It's user preference, so you can set it the way you like it best. You only need to adjust a setting, so attachments will be encoded within the message. :)
I could edit the x-poco headers but that does not solve the Linux issue where any new email program will not be able to find the relevant attachments (there is no Linux Pocomail and please dont suggest Wine, the whole point of going Linux is to move away from Windows and all its apps).
No, unfortunately that doesn't solve your problem. :?
However you could change the setting, so from now on attachments will always be available.
Don't know a lot about Linux, only tried Ubuntu once and didn't like it. :lol:
Its also a problem having orphan attachments as Pocomail does not delete them which in my view it should do, or at least ask, when you delete emails.
See Pocomail Attachment Cleaner Stuart.
It should help you to clean up your attachment folder. :P
Eric

Postby stuart_rogers » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:21 am

Thanks again Eric, I've written my own attachment processor to ensure I only keep those for which I have emails since I wanted to copy all those files referenced in the email even where the x-poco header pointed to the wrong disk or directory.

I guess I'll have to live with the emails and attachments being separated when I move to Linux. I know Poco allows the user to chose but still think it should be the default to not separate which I dont think it was when I first started to use Pocomail.

Ubuntu is not good IMHO, I just trie dthe latest and it has loads of problems, I now use Mandriva 2010.0 which so far has been excellent.

Stuart
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 am

stuart_rogers wrote:Thanks again Eric, I've written my own attachment processor to ensure I only keep those for which I have emails since I wanted to copy all those files referenced in the email even where the x-poco header pointed to the wrong disk or directory.
My pleasure Stuart. ;)
Good to know you got a solution to your problem.
I guess I'll have to live with the emails and attachments being separated when I move to Linux. I know Poco allows the user to chose but still think it should be the default to not separate which I dont think it was when I first started to use Pocomail.
Perhaps someone else knows another way to do it, so we'll see if someone responds.

As for the default of Poco, I think it was to seperate the attachments from the messages, since I had to change it back then. :?
Ubuntu is not good IMHO, I just trie dthe latest and it has loads of problems, I now use Mandriva 2010.0 which so far has been excellent.
So that's why I didn't like it. :lol:
No seriously, I'm not ready to make the change.
Still have to discover what Win 7 has to offer, once I buy it.
Maybe I'll give Mandriva a try one of these days.

Take care. ;)
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To