[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PDF converts to TXT

PDF converts to TXT

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PDF converts to TXT

Postby nomis1934 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 am

Over a year now - virtually no problems. But now this has started.

Some (not all) PDF files convert from PDF to TXT when arriving in my POCO 4 mailbox! I have isolated my AT&T and Gmail accounts so that they do not go into POCO. The PDF's are OK in those boxes.

I have sent these PDF letters from my AT&T to my Gmail and vice-versa. no problem - the PDF file is there and working. Only when I bring them into my POCO client does the PDF change to TXT!

I uninstalled POCO, cleared the registry and everything else, rebuilt POCO from scratch and it is still happening.

Has anyone out there in POCOLAND had this crazy thing happen?
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:53 pm

I had a message just yesterday in which a .pdf was received as a .txt file. I get these from time to time, I have always attributed this to other than PocoMail.

This also sometime happens with other attachments not just pdf. Now I am starting to wonder. I can't think of a single reason though how or why PocoMail would be causing this.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

PDF converts to TXT

Postby nomis1934 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks for your reply. Had it happen again yesterday. Funny thing is as I indicated in my posting, "I initially isolated POCO from my AT&T and Gmail boxes. When it came into either one of those they remained in a PDF format. Only when I forwarded them to POCO did that crazy thing happen. I am going to keep this thing open to see if any others in POCOLAND have had the experience. Also I am going to get on the ADOBE forum and see if anyone there has had it happen to them. Will keep you posted.
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

PDF converts to TXT

Postby nomis1934 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:12 am

Under control now. After I changed the .txt to .pdf and/or .jpg in the ATTACHED FILE, the messages were opened by their respective programs. Don't ask, but after I did that, all new messages have come in correctly. I waited a few weeks watching it before reporting in to the forum to ensure that I wasn't seeing things - the manually changing them also corrected all newly received PDF's and JPG's. Weird????
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 pm

That is weird. I haven't had any problems lately either.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Yke » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 pm

I still have the same problem. Not always, but often enough to be a real nuisance. Sometimes also a .doc attachment appears to be empty or completely mixed up.
I used to receive mail without leaving mail on the server, but now I leave it there. Most of the time it is possible to get the attachment in its proper form after redownloading it from the server.

I think it is a Poco - Win7 problem, because I never had any problems of this kind using Win 98 or XP.
Yke
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:05 am

Do you have an antivirus scanning incoming email traffic?
If so, will disabling that functionality in your antivirus help?

If you'll configure Pocomail not to extract attachments to the Attach folder but leave them inside of the message (in Options, Encoding Options), will that make any difference?

(I have noticed few reports on the helpdesk over the last couple months, but generally it's a number not significantly different to how often this was being reported for example a year ago when there was no Windows 7.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby robin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:50 am

Yke wrote:I still have the same problem. Not always, but often enough to be a real nuisance. Sometimes also a .doc attachment appears to be empty or completely mixed up.
I used to receive mail without leaving mail on the server, but now I leave it there. Most of the time it is possible to get the attachment in its proper form after redownloading it from the server.

I think it is a Poco - Win7 problem, because I never had any problems of this kind using Win 98 or XP.

I use Win 7 and have not seen any issues like this with Poco.
robin

PDF converts to TXT

Postby nomis1934 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:42 am

Thanks for your interesting comment about Windows 7. I am still running XP Professional, POCO exclusively. Another several days have past, more PDF's received - and none have changed to .txt since I made those prior corrections while inside the attach folder. This problem started back in December. Next week I will be receiving the March version of the documents that the PDF's changed to TXT. Looking forward to seeing if I truly cured the problem.

And now I am about to start looking further for an answer to the newest problem - font size changes upon receipt. So far what I have seen in the forum doesn't help. It is not a POCO problem for I have been told by users of the "other" e-mail client, the same thing happens.
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 am

This occurs infrequently for me. I am running PocoMail using Wine in Slackware64.

I have not anti-virus installed and I have PocoMail configured not to extract attachments to the Attach folder.

I am not entirely convinced it is PocoMail causing this.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 pm

There are also cases when attachments are sent missing the attachment extension information in MIME headers. In such case Pocomail will use .txt extension. Pocomail could probably dig deeper in the headers and assing the extension based on other information in headers, but so far it's not capable of that.
(Off the top of my head, hope the description above is not too incorrect from technical point of view.)

font size changes upon receipt

Please submit a support request with more detailed description, I can't completely understand what's going on.
If it's that you send message with certain font size, but the recipient sees a different font size:

- your font size is view-only, on your system, but your outgoing messages are set to be Plain text messages (not Styled), in that case font size while displayed while writing, font size information will not be included in the outgoing message

- recipient has some settings in their software that override the original message formatting
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby chrisretusn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Tomas wrote:There are also cases when attachments are sent missing the attachment extension information in MIME headers. In such case Pocomail will use .txt extension. Pocomail could probably dig deeper in the headers and assing the extension based on other information in headers, but so far it's not capable of that.
(Off the top of my head, hope the description above is not too incorrect from technical point of view.)

Good enough for me. :)
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

PDF converts to TXT

Postby nomis1934 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 am

To all others who have responded,thanks. And to Tomas, I will go along with your reasoning and thoughts. And as long as this problem is under control, I am going to close this posting and move on. Regardless of the happenings, POCO is our one and only e-mail client. I would only like to see maybe two improvements, new mail "TO" the default for addresses "collapsed" and maybe full access to all the colors.
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:46 pm

I looked through two of my largest folders, 7956 and 12235 and found eight of these. I am sure I have a few more in other folders. besides pdf, there was also a zip, jpg and wmv file that had a txt extension. Eight out of 20191messages is not a real issue for me.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby DaveP » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:46 am

I ran into this issue a year or so ago from one particular customer. As near as I could tell, it only occurred when he forwarded a message to me with a pdf. If he created and sent a message to me with a pdf attachment, it came through with the correct extension.

I did not have this issue with any other received messages from other contacts. I have not received any mislabled pdfs from this contact for months now. I suspect something must have changed in his configuration solving the problem. (He is not computer literate. If something was changed at his end, it was by accident, not by design.)
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To