[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - pocomail on external drives

pocomail on external drives

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

pocomail on external drives

Postby ivan » Fri May 21, 2010 3:13 am

I have been using PocoMail for the past 8 years, and MyInfoToGo for the past 3. I like the software and I would hate to have to stop using it, but I can't seem to find a way around my problem.

Right now I am using MITG on a U3 flash drive. For space reasons, I have all my other files in an external Lacie hard disk. I am currently using the OpenOffice suite and Firefox from U3, but it runs very slow. Plus, it is a pain to have to carry two drives (the flash drive and the hard drive) all the time.

Thus, I would like to be able to run MITG on a hard-drive, possibly usingthe PortableApps platform for that purpose, and get rid of the U3 flash drive (another alternative would be to buy a U3 hard disk, but I can't seem to find that anywhere).

The current version of MITG crashes when run it on an external hard drive. Is PocoSystems going to issue a PortableApps version of MITG? I pressume it would not be very difficult to package MITG on a PAF.EXE format, would it?

Thanks,

Ivan
ivan
Drop-in Visitor

Re: pocomail on external drives

Postby blakelyg » Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 pm

ivan wrote:Thus, I would like to be able to run MITG on a hard-drive, possibly usingthe PortableApps platform for that purpose, and get rid of the U3 flash drive (another alternative would be to buy a U3 hard disk, but I can't seem to find that anywhere).

The current version of MITG crashes when run it on an external hard drive. Is PocoSystems going to issue a PortableApps version of MITG? I pressume it would not be very difficult to package MITG on a PAF.EXE format, would it?

Thanks,

Ivan

What type of system are you running? I have MITG running from a USB hard drive. Is this a registered version (mine is and I am currently on Windows 7)?

Note that MITG no longer is supported, in fact it is even behind Barca and likely the functionality that was/is in MITG will be incorporated in Barca. The Website even states that MITG is no longer supported (or as it says no longer being updated updated).

See this Link for details.
http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6800&highlight=mitg
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Wed May 26, 2010 8:12 am

MITG will not run from external hard drive, it only runs from USB flash drives.
But all other applications (Pocomail, Barca) will run from external hard drive.

Is PocoSystems going to issue a PortableApps version of MITG?

As it stands right now, MITG will be abandoned and Pocomail and Barca will be made portable (thus there will be no need for MITG anymore). Full details are not known. But PortableApps is one of the possibilities.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby bareges » Wed May 26, 2010 8:51 am

Insofar as it is any help to you - I have given up on MITG and installed Pocomail 4.8 on my USB drive and I use Good sync to files the USB version in sync with the desktop version. So far (3 months) it is working much better than MITG ever did. Syncing takes a minute or two unlike poor old MITG that struggled badly.

Regards

Charles
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby blakelyg » Wed May 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Tomas wrote:MITG will not run from external hard drive, it only runs from USB flash drives.
But all other applications (Pocomail, Barca) will run from external hard drive.

Is PocoSystems going to issue a PortableApps version of MITG?

As it stands right now, MITG will be abandoned and Pocomail and Barca will be made portable (thus there will be no need for MITG anymore). Full details are not known. But PortableApps is one of the possibilities.

Hi Tomas,

Just wanted to clarify (moot point given the status of MITG). MITG will not install on a USB external drive, but it will run from a USB Hard drive. I installed my version on a USB flash drive, then copied the whole folder over to the external hard drive. Works beautifully (OK with the limitations outlined in the forum).

That is a great option (PortableApps), especially given that they are in the process of updating to a new version. I know you probably have limited information but would that be with the new version (under development) of Poco/Barca or the current versions (assuming that is the solution decided on)?

Thanks

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 am

bareges wrote:Syncing takes a minute or two unlike poor old MITG that struggled badly.

I believe Good Sync will sync on file level only (though their plans were to go further, I don't know whether there were any changes recently), while MITG was syncing on a record level, so what for GoodSync is one item (file), for MITG is thousands of items (or as much as you have messages stored in that particular folder). That certainly takes a lot more time (time spent on accessing individual records, on trying to find their counterpart in the other database and all the syncing logic).

blakelyg wrote:Just wanted to clarify (moot point given the status of MITG). MITG will not install on a USB external drive, but it will run from a USB Hard drive. I installed my version on a USB flash drive, then copied the whole folder over to the external hard drive. Works beautifully (OK with the limitations outlined in the forum).

Good find. Though I couldn't replicate it with my drive. It might be dependent on the type of the drive - it's possible that it might work on some types of external hard drives.

blakelyg wrote:That is a great option (PortableApps), especially given that they are in the process of updating to a new version. I know you probably have limited information but would that be with the new version (under development) of Poco/Barca or the current versions (assuming that is the solution decided on)?

I can only offer my own personal guess: I'd not be surprised if the update was bug-fixing mostly. But I have no information about that (the only information I have on update is that it was planned to happen few months ago, from that I take it's fairly possible it will happen, but I can't promise that update will happen for 100%).

I don't know much about PortableApps myself, hopefully I'll be able to get to it and study the development related details soon, currently I'm only aware that such possibility exists. If I can anticipate, Slaven might make decision on which way to go largely based a] which will be easiest to implement b] generic enough (ie. independent on other technologies, another factor will be to have as little standalone product lines to maintain as possible (eg. it's better option to have one all-in-one product, than to have one for desktop, one for U3, one for flash drive and one external hard drive install - to take it to extreme just for explanation purposes).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To