[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Filter Maximum Capacity

Filter Maximum Capacity

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Filter Maximum Capacity

Postby nomis1934 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:16 am

Too many entries in the filter causes mail that comes in from the server be deleted before it even makes it into POCO. Is there a maximum amount of entries allowed? Several times this has happened and I have to erase the filter file and start from scratch.

If it is me doing it, I have saved the last filter.ini file for review if anyone might want to let me know what I am doing that causes the problem.
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Re: Filter Maximum Capacity

Postby Eric » Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 pm

nomis1934 wrote:If it is me doing it, I have saved the last filter.ini file for review if anyone might want to let me know what I am doing that causes the problem.
You could send it to Support or you could send it to me :?:

AFAIK I've never had messages deleted from the server because of too many entries. I guess there's a faulty setting somewhere. :roll:

Also don't know of any restrictions to the amount of entries allowed.

PM me, if you want me to have a look at it. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Wed May 26, 2010 7:56 am

Filters work on first come first served basis: if email matches rule no. 7, that's where it ends processed, and even if it also matches eg. rule no. 85, it will not make it there.
That's the basis of all similar reported problems I have been assisting with so far. I advise to keep as little filter rules as possible, to avoid confusion - it's easy to get lost in a list of rules that spans ten screens.
Among other things filters shouldn't be used to handle spam - it's counterproductive and only causes the list of rules to grow.

As Eric suggested, please use menu Help > Email support, and I will assist you further with that. Sometimes I can identify possible culprit rule right from that (filters.ini file is appended), occasionally I might additionally ask for a sample unprocessed email message to be also sent (if filters.ini alone will not contain any obviously problematic rule).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Filter Maximum Capacity

Postby nomis1934 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:32 am

Eric, Tomas.... Sorry for delay in replying. (1) your notification got caught up not being delivered but gmail archives had it. (2) - had throat surgery - can't talk for six weeks - it's fixed and lab report says all is OK.

Lost mail to POCO happened again today. I removed the filters to get new mail. Fortunately I set my POCO not to delete from the server. Those messages that POCO didn't deliver were still on the server.

Tried to forward those messages being held on the server to a different address. POCO still would not receive them even with nothing in filters. All new mail is coming in.

Eric, how can I send you a couple of the filter.ini's to look at?

Tomas, you state that we shouldn't use these filters to stop spam! Spam is out of control to me again even with junk set maximum. Junk filters didn't help so I was taking a specific word from entire message, the headers or body's and "preformed DELETE." That worked perfectly, Today I just realized that "pre-download" should be the area where these should be placed. So maybe I was wrong placing these filters in the "Incoming" and possibly causing the filters to "max out".
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 pm

nomis1934 wrote:Eric, how can I send you a couple of the filter.ini's to look at?
Oops :oops: I forgot PM is disabled on this board.

Send it to: <snip>

I'll have a look at it ASAP and report back. ;)

~ Removed email address ~
Eric

Postby Tomas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Laurie, first of all I wish you good recovery after your throat surgery!

nomis1934 wrote:Tried to forward those messages being held on the server to a different address. POCO still would not receive them even with nothing in filters.

Was there some error message in the log right after checking the new mail when you were expecting the messages to arrive?

You can try to use menu File > Fiew Mail on Server, or Online Folders (usually at the bottom of the message tree) to get a view of messages located on the server and attempt to download them individually.

If you have the message on the server, please try to save it to .eml or .msg or at worst to .txt format (any format that's not just text but contains full raw message) and submit through http://pocosystems.com/support/ for a check.

Tomas, you state that we shouldn't use these filters to stop spam!

Yes that's because it makes filters a mess - hundreds of rules where one get easily lost in. Also it's a too much work with too little results, a fight that never ends.

I'd suggest dedicated antispam filter. SpamBayes works perfectly for me. I can even help setting it up, or suggest some other alternatives, any specialized antispam will be much better than using filters.

Spam is out of control to me again even with junk set maximum. Junk filters didn't help so I was taking a specific word from entire message, the headers or body's and "preformed DELETE." That worked perfectly, Today I just realized that "pre-download" should be the area where these should be placed. So maybe I was wrong placing these filters in the "Incoming" and possibly causing the filters to "max out".

pre-download filters don't have access to the message body, only to the headers
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To