[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Contact group delete

Contact group delete

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Contact group delete

Postby nkoss » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:41 am

How do you delete a 'group' from the contact list? I see how to remove individual items, one at a time, but how do you delete the group itself?

And while I'm at it, what exactly is an 'address book'? ...as opposed to a group? I guess I'm a little confused. I can't seem to move groups around.

When I add someone to a group from somewhere else (ctrl-drag), are these now 2 separate items or are there internal pointers to the same item? If I alter one, does it change both?
nkoss
Poco Tourist

Re: Contact group delete

Postby Tomas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:05 am

You can delete group in the Contacts sidebar, if it's not visible on your installation you can use menu View > Show > Show Contacts Sidebar to enable it. There find the group, select it and press Delete button. Contacts Sidebar only shows the default address book (in case you have more). That will also delete all the items the group contains.

nkoss wrote:And while I'm at it, what exactly is an 'address book'? ...as opposed to a group? I guess I'm a little confused. I can't seem to move groups around.

Address Book resides in one file. It can consist of more address groups. Address Group is a kind of category or subfolder within address book.

When I add someone to a group from somewhere else (ctrl-drag), are these now 2 separate items or are there internal pointers to the same item? If I alter one, does it change both?

- drag& drop = move
- CTRL+drag&drop = copy
- Shift+drag&drop = link

When dragging and dropping keep in mind that the default action for this is to move contacts. Instead of moving you can:

Thus if you didn CTRL+drag, you have two separate items where altering one doesn't alter the other.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby nkoss » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:45 am

You can delete group in the Contacts sidebar, if it's not visible on your installation you can use menu View > Show > Show Contacts Sidebar to enable it. There find the group, select it and press Delete button. Contacts Sidebar only shows the default address book (in case you have more). That will also delete all the items the group contains.

Thank you...That was a bit roundabout, but at least now I get it!

- drag& drop = move
- CTRL+drag&drop = copy
- Shift+drag&drop = link

So it sounds like I want to Shft-drag&drop in order to just have a single entry. Then if I make a change, it is really a change in both. That is the behavior I want.....thanks
nkoss
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Just to add to Tomas' reply - you can actually send messages to a group - the group is then expanded in the e-mail addresses in the group. You only have to enter one address - the name of the group.
robin

Postby nkoss » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks, Robin, but I understood that aspect of a group. It was the deletion and the linking that I now have a good understanding.
nkoss
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To