[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - All mail gone

All mail gone

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

All mail gone

Postby irix » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:18 am

I've had a crash, my in.mbx was damaged, so said Pocomail.
I rebooted, did a chkdsk and everything seemed fine, but all mails were empty (senders, subjects and all were fine). So I read the forums and compressed the mailbox but now: everything is gone.
Empty.
There are no backups, the in.mbx file is 0kb.
I think I have to live with losing all mail and start to do a daily backup?
Fortunatly I have lots of folders, so I only missed one of the least interesting ones (4100 mails though). But maybe there are some wonders and I can fix it. Any help is welcome.

Also I used to have my mail in c:\mail, but Poco seems to put them in a c:\users and roaming directory now? Well, I do have the c:\mail backup but thats from the beginning of 2009. If it's lost it's lost, can't do much about it then I guess ;)
irix
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:54 am

Compressing is OK to be done on corrupt mailbox only if backup is in place, as in such case (corrupt mailbox) it might end up with empty folder.
You have automatic backup disabled as well, is that right?

Try to check whether you have at least In.~mbx present - that's an automatic backup (only present if this function is not disabled in your configuration, not the same type of backup as above). If you have it, copy it to a safe place to have it backed up just in case, then copy In.~mbx over In.mbx while Pocomail is not running, delete In.idb, and start Pocomail.

Also I used to have my mail in c:\mail, but Poco seems to put them in a c:\users and roaming directory now?

Both shall be fine. C:\mail is fine for a custom data path selection, as long as you have proper rights on your machine to access that folder.

For backup I'd suggest Cobian backup, or any other dedicated backup solution.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby irix » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:17 am

In.~mbx is 0kb as well.
The whole pc crashed somehow. I think I'll plan a reinstall soon and have me a good daily backup setup, externally. I have this on my server, but not on my client pc on which the mail is coming in.
I do have a 14 days leave mail on server, so I should be able to get back the last 14 days of mails. Any idea how I do this? Because they are marked to not being downloaded again now I think.
irix
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:43 am

irix wrote:I do have a 14 days leave mail on server, so I should be able to get back the last 14 days of mails. Any idea how I do this? Because they are marked to not being downloaded again now I think.

Through File > View Mail on Server, in case it's not SSL account, or Online Folders (located in the Folders tree).
Let me know if you'll need more details about that.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby irix » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:29 am

That succeeded, thanks. Now I have the latest mails at least.
irix
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To