[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Help with moving directories [Resolved]

Help with moving directories [Resolved]

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Help with moving directories [Resolved]

Postby soniajane » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Following a bit of a reorganisation of my hard drive, I have changed where Poco stores incoming attachments (and various other things too).

I did it in Tools > Options > General Options > Directories

At the same time, I copied over the entire previous directory structure contents to the new location - so all my attachments went over to the new spot.

The problem I have is that while new mails are indeed going to the new place, all my old mails (previous to the change) show the attachments with the old directory path.

Is there any way I can have Pocomail reset these paths? The files are in the new location, so I just need to reset the path to show the new one.

soniajane
Poco Tourist

Postby soniajane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:43 am

Oh, I meant to add a question:

If I do a full back up and then restore, with the new path set in the directory settings, will that put all the files (and their paths) into the new location?
soniajane
Poco Tourist

Re: Help with moving directories

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:10 am

soniajane wrote:Is there any way I can have Pocomail reset these paths? The files are in the new location, so I just need to reset the path to show the new one.
I'm sure there's a way to reset the path.
:!: Have a look at Reattaching attachments to messages.

Also have a look at the header of those messages where it doesn't show the attachment. Changing the path will probably solve the problem.
Try it out with a copy of a message first.
If I do a full back up and then restore, with the new path set in the directory settings, will that put all the files (and their paths) into the new location?
I guess it will restore it to the path set in Options > Directories, although I've never tried it. :?
Eric

Postby soniajane » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks for the reply, Eric.

I looked at that link - but if I read it correctly it's a one-at-a-time kind of operation.

I have thousands of messages, many with attachments that I want to move so I don't think it's going to work for me.

I may experiment a bit with the back up and restore option if I get some time in the next day or two.

Thanks for your help :)

I don't come here very often (only when I have a problem) but whenever I do you seem to be here to hold my hand. :D
soniajane
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:27 am

soniajane wrote:Thanks for the reply, Eric.
You're welcome. ;)
I looked at that link - but if I read it correctly it's a one-at-a-time kind of operation.
Indeed, it is. :?
I have thousands of messages, many with attachments that I want to move so I don't think it's going to work for me.
That's quite a lot. :)

:idea: I think I may have found the solution to your problem, although not yet tested by myself.

Since all your emails are stored in an MBX file, it should be quite easy to rename the previous attachment directory to the current one.
Use a text editor (I do use EditPlus) and open the MBX file.
Now do a Search and Replace. Save afterwards again as MBX.

:!: Just make sure Poco is closed and before you run it life, do it first with a test MBX file.
Just copy an existing MBX file and name it test.mbx.
When all renaming has been done, re-open Poco so that MBX file can be reindexed.
Do those attachments show now :?:

If they do, make a backup first, but before you do close Poco again and delete test.mbx.

Now when the backup is done, go further with opening each MBX file which does have that problem.

Once all is done, delete all IDB files, so Poco can reindex them once started.

Just a suggestion how to do it quicker. Still a lot of work, but less then with the script. :)
I don't come here very often (only when I have a problem) but whenever I do you seem to be here to hold my hand. :D
I do help whenever I can.
It's my pleasure to help to anyone.
Must be a coincidence I guess. :lol: :wink:
Eric

Postby soniajane » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 am

Eric, once again you've sorted me out!

That suggestion you had about editing the MBX files worked like a dream.

Now I have all my attachments in one directory, rather than split across two.

Thanks so much :)

I also learned quite a bit about Poco and mailbox files from doing this, so not only did you solve the problem, you helped to educate me too. :D

Have a great evening/night/morning. And no doubt I'll find you here again next time I have a problem...
soniajane
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:18 pm

soniajane wrote:Eric, once again you've sorted me out!

That suggestion you had about editing the MBX files worked like a dream.

Now I have all my attachments in one directory, rather than split across two.

Thanks so much :)
Glad it helped you. :D
I also learned quite a bit about Poco and mailbox files from doing this, so not only did you solve the problem, you helped to educate me too. :D
As always when searching to resolve a problem you'll learn things you didn't know before. That's also what I like about solving problems with PC's, software.
Never to old to learn something new. 8)
Have a great evening/night/morning. And no doubt I'll find you here again next time I have a problem...
Same to you & have a fine weekend.
Till next time. ;)
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To