[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail Odd Behaviour

PocoMail Odd Behaviour

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoMail Odd Behaviour

Postby tekjnke » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:12 am

Greetings,
Both my wife and I use PocoMail, but on her machine (W98SE, Cable-Modem) she notices that while typing an email PocoMail will pause frequently and state its "Preparing Message" (in the status line).

Everything else on the machine is fine, and Poco itself runs great - except for this oddity. We have compressed the mailboxes, but it seems to be worse now.

Any thoughts, and perhaps a fix, would be appreciated.

-Tekjnke
tekjnke
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:25 am

If I remember correctly, this problem has historically been caused by a conflict between Pocomail and specific network cards (or perhaps it was specific video cards).
Pete

Postby tekjnke » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:29 am

Pete wrote:If I remember correctly, this problem has historically been caused by a conflict between Pocomail and specific network cards (or perhaps it was specific video cards).

OK - well the machine is up-to-date with video and NIC (usb wifi) drivers.

A note, the previous version of Pocomail didn't do this.
tekjnke
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:35 am

Yah, I think that this problem was introduced in v3 of Pocomail when they added the feature that automatically saves the current contents of a message that you're typing (in the Composition Window) into the Draft mailbox once per minute.

I don't have access to the previous forums so I can only guess now, but I think that the affected people had to change to a different brand of network card to resolve it (not just update drivers). I could be wrong though.
Pete

Postby tekjnke » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:38 am

Pete wrote:Yah, I think that this problem was introduced in v3 of Pocomail when they added the feature that automatically saves the current contents of a message that you're typing (in the Composition Window) into the Draft mailbox once per minute.

I don't have access to the previous forums so I can only guess now, but I think that the affected people had to change to a different brand of network card to resolve it (not just update drivers). I could be wrong though.

Yikes - that should not be an acceptable form of a fix. If that is the issue, we will just have to stop using Pocomail. Sigh.
tekjnke
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:40 am

p.s. It could also be a problem that happens only with Win98. I know that it's not always feasible, but upgrading the operating system (instead of the network card) to a newer version of Windows *might* help.

Of course, if you would choose WinXP, we're probably talking about the need to upgrade most/all of the hardware anyway -- a possibly drastic solution.
Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:43 am

tekjnke wrote:Yikes - that should not be an acceptable form of a fix. If that is the issue, we will just have to stop using Pocomail. Sigh.

Yah, I don't think that PSI ever fixed the problem. Since it didn't seem to affect very many users, and since PSI was a small company, they couldn't justify buying specific network cards for compatibility testing and debugging.
Pete

Postby tekjnke » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:45 am

Pete wrote:
tekjnke wrote:Yikes - that should not be an acceptable form of a fix. If that is the issue, we will just have to stop using Pocomail. Sigh.

Yah, I don't think that PSI ever fixed the problem. Since it didn't seem to affect very many users, and since PSI was a small company, they couldn't justify buying specific network cards for compatibility testing and debugging.

Yeah, having to change hardware for a software problem can never be an acceptable solution. In our case it could be done, but I shouldn't have to.

Hopefully someone will have an idea after morning coffee. :)
tekjnke
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To