[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Timed Out Error/Socket Error Please Help!!!!!

Timed Out Error/Socket Error Please Help!!!!!

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Timed Out Error/Socket Error Please Help!!!!!

Postby tarheelmbs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:36 am

Hey guys,

I'm using Pocomail 4.8 and I'm getting a socket/timed out error when I try to send email from home.

Couple of unique things about this problem that differ from anything else I could find in the other discussions. It only times out when sending email not receiving and I only have this problem at home and nowhere else.

It only recently started since I changed my ISP provider to Qwest from Comcast. I also purchased a new router as well the Cisco Linksys E3000.

It works fine in my office, at my family’s house, just not at my house. I tried calling qwest to get some help but spoke to somebody out of country and I couldn't understand his accent. He didn't seem to understand the issue I was having.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
tarheelmbs
New Arrival

Postby robin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:20 am

Hi, sounds to me like you need to check your outgoing SMTP mail server details. If you are using the one from your ISP, then check that you have the right server details.

If you are using the one provided by your mail hosting company then check that the ISP permits outgoing traffic on port 25 - it is often the case that ISPs don't for certain types of account. You may have to change the account or switch to another port number.
robin

Postby MarkB » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 am

Continue listening to Robin. I'm just going to insert an personal anecdote or two.

1. Yesterday, Poco was unable to send from one particular email account. It kept reporting Socket Error #10060 (failure to log in; timed out during the attempt). One message was in the out box. I have 4 accounts with this service. 3 continued to work normally; the problem account worked earlier in the day, and continued to receive mail. Neither I nor tech support could find anything amiss. Then he made a silly suggestion. "It could be a problem with the message." How so? The difficulty was logging in. Anyhoo, the message got trashed, re-created, sent, and all is again well.

2. A year ago this provider switched from an in-house email system to Microsoft-Live. Out-sourcing. Since then Poco has occasionally produced messages that the service claims contain errors and stubbornly refuses to carry. (Not Socket Error #10060.) A makeshift solution in these cases is to re-create the message in Thunderbird and mail it from there.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To