[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - error - mail was handled by an open relay

error - mail was handled by an open relay

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

error - mail was handled by an open relay

Postby davn8r » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:34 am

When I try to send mail I get this error message:

"rblsmtpd 63.206.193.176 pid 20072: 451 This mail was handled by an open relay - please visit"

Any ideas what this means and how I fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Dave Ferrise
davn8r
Poco Tourist

Re: error - mail was handled by an open relay

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:12 am

Hi Dave,
davn8r wrote:"rblsmtpd 63.206.193.176 pid 20072: 451 This mail was handled by an open relay - please visit"
Any ideas what this means and how I fix it?
A quick search on Google showed me the following:
# rblsmtpd - Number of email messages blocked via reverse DNS.
Check:
* http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml
* http://www.dsbl.org/
* http://www.ordb.org/

:roll: Has your email address been put on the black list of spammers?
Or maybe your computer is infected and serves as a spammer station. (= trojan)
Wasn't there a website address after the 'visit'?

Only guessing here, but could well be the case.
Eric

Postby robin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:14 am

Poco sends mail to an SMTP server, this then sends the mail to the recipient computer. Usually your ISP will provide you with an SMTP server (often something like smtp.myisp.com) although some hosted e-mail packages also provide them (e.g. everyone.net). If your ISP provides an SMTP server then you can only use it if you are on their network. If a hosted e-mail provider provides it the you usually have to log in (authenticate). If anyone can use it then it is known as an "open relay" and these are loved by spammers because they can hide. For this reason most SMTP servers will not act as open relays, or people who are protecting themselves will not accept e-mail from known open relays.

What your message probably means is that you are attempting to use an SMTP server as an open relay. You should use either the SMTP server that your ISP has provided you with, or one that you are authenticated for.
robin

conclusion of "open relay" error

Postby davn8r » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:21 am

OK- I got to the bottom of this. I fired up my old Outlook Express and got the same error message only there was more to it:

The SMTP server returned an error. Account: 'mail.lizqq.com', Server: 'mail.lizqq.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: 'rblsmtpd: 63.206.193.176 pid 25213: 451 This mail was handled by an open relay - please visit <http://ORDB.org/lookup/?host=63.206.193.176>', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC60

I went to the website and discovered that on of the servers servicing my DSL connection from SBC was the culprit - evidently first tagged in June of 2003. It is my guess that SBC serves up a slew of these virual addresses and this particular one got flagged and I happened to get it when I connected via my DSL modem. The problem went away after I rebooted my DSL a couple times.

Thanks to all who helped. I still have one question - why did Poco only show part of the message - is this by design? Is there an external error log I can go to in the future in case I want to see a more verbose message?
Dave Ferrise
davn8r
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To