[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - template problem

template problem

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

template problem

Postby trinityss » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:11 pm

Hi,

I have the following problem:

1. Tools / Templates --> new.

2. Paste this contents
------------------------------------

_gggp, _ __gg,__ _,p,_
_00000000Ng__ _ _,,,_gQM00000g gM0000000&ggppgpgg#g _gp0000000ggyg__,_e
_gMM000000000000000& _g0MM00000000000000000 _aM _000000000000000000p g0^ "000000000000000M,
__p#M~ ]000000000000000& _NM~#0000000000000000&, ` _d~ 00000MM0000000000~~M^ g@ "000000000000M00#
*~~^ ]00M ^0M000# ` N^,p0000MMMMMMMMMF~"MM0M # ~^ `~~~~M00pg_ p" M0M~MM0M#0#
M0&_0@ ~0& _00MM~` " ~ `M00M0 0N&qBf 0&
700 "g `M` "M& ^~^ ~Qg_
" `^ `

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Select pasted text, change font to "terminal".

4. File / Save as template.

5. Close template

6. Message / New message --> Templates --> select newly created template.

Problem: all space characters are now showed as "á".

Is there something that i'm doing wrong??

thx
trinityss
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:36 am

Why on earth do you want to do that? The template appears to be meaningless and "terminal" is not a font designed for general use. What exactly is the problem here? I can't imagine that it stops you doing anything useful.

I also don't see a problem with this "template" with build 1990. It may be something to do with your version of the "terminal" font.
robin

Postby J-Mac » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:26 pm

Robin, did you actually paste this into a new template?

Looks to me like that's what the OP wants folks to do. Either a nasty message, or a nasty script?
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby tribble » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:46 pm

J-Mac,

There is nothing "wrong" with the template text.

trinityss, there is nothing wrong with the spaces either. But, I have to ask the same thing Robin did: why on Earth would you want that? The text is meaningless and the Terminal font is not standard across all platforms.
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:53 pm

J-Mac wrote:Robin, did you actually paste this into a new template?

Looks to me like that's what the OP wants folks to do. Either a nasty message, or a nasty script?
Yes - I tried it, as I indicated, in build 1990 (a late beta build). Nothing untoward happened either.
robin

Postby trinityss » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:02 am

pasting the text into this message has messed up the text... :?

Here you find the original text:
http://users.pandora.be/trinityss/catrun.txt

It is created with Asciiartstudio (http://www.torchsoft.com/).
It converts an image to asciiart, and by default it uses terminal... which also gives best results.

So when i paste it in a new template it looks like this:

After saving the template and load it in a new message it looks like this:

If terminal is not an default font i have to look into another font...
but according to this site terminal is a default xp font.
http://www.xvsxp.com/fonts/
Crossplatform is not an issue for me.
nevertheless there goes something wrong...

any suggestions are welcome...

Pocomail 3.1.0.1880

thx
Trinityss
trinityss
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:54 am

OK - I see what you are doing now - kind of like a picture on a line printer; only in an e-mail.

I can also see the problem now. I think the basis of it is that the <space> character that you are using to create it is not actually a space, but another character in the char set which looks like a space; but when rendered by PocoMail in the Terminal char set in a new message it is actually rendered as the "a-acute". As an example if you delete (say) 8 characters off the front of one of the lines in the template and replace them with proper spaces from the keyboard then when the new message is generated you will see spaces, not "a-acute".

The background to this may be that if the program that generated this simply sends spaces to the browser then the browser will discard all except the first space in the block (standard behavior).

To get the answer that you are looking for you will need to remove all the pseudo-spaces and replace them with the proper space character.

However, perhaps Slaven would like to comments on why you don't see this when initially composing the template?
robin

Postby robin » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:44 am

I've done a little more investigation: the "a-acute" that you are seeing in ASCII seems to be a space in ANSI - which may be why it has been chosen by the program.

However, I'm confused: if I look in the file that you refer to with a hex editor, all the <spaces> come out as hex 20, which is the ASCII for <space> :(

Anyway, back to a solution for you: pending resolution of the PocoMail issue, I suggest that you overwrite the "a-acute"s with spaces and save the template again.
robin

Postby trinityss » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:16 am

Hi robin,

thanks for the investigation... unfortunately your workaround doesn't work. If send this problem to pocomail support (Help / email support). In the mean time ill try another ascii art program...

thx
Trinityss
trinityss
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Any space (not just with the text above) in the terminal font has this problem. If you open up the template in the templates folder with a text editor you can see spaces are being converted to non-breaking spaces so that they render correctly in html. The non-breaking space in terminal has the 'acute a' symbol, but even so IE and Firefox still render it as a space (rename the templates .txt extension to .html to test it) so it looks like a bug in PocoMails html engine. It probably (untested) renders fine for anyone receiving it who doesn't use PocoMail though.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To