[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail not using its Timeout setting

PocoMail not using its Timeout setting

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoMail not using its Timeout setting

Postby Pete » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:19 am

PocoMail isn't using the Timeout setting that I specified in "Tools > Options > Network Settings > Timeout Online Operations After".

In this particular case, PocoMail could not contact my email server (FastMail) when PocoMail tried to login. Instead of timing out after the number of seconds that I specified, PocoMail does nothing and the "Check" button on the toolbar says "Stop". PocoMail continues waiting for a response from the server "forever" until I click this toolbar button to manually stop it.

This problem has existed for me with several past versions of PocoMail. The good news is that v3.2 of PocoMail is not using 100% of my CPU like previous versions had used in this situation. The bad news is that PocoMail is still not using the timeout value that I specified.
Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:08 am

Part Two:

In addition, after network access to FastMail was restored, manual intervention was required to force PocoMail to resume Timed Mail Checks.

To do this, I had to click the Stop button and, to my surprise, I also had to click the Check button before timed mail checks resumed.

I believe that PocoMail should be able to robustly handle Timed Mail Checks at all times without user intervention. I thank PSI for apparently eliminating the 100% CPU issue that has plagued me for the past few months. Now I hope that there could be some kind of resolution for these two issues.
Pete

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:51 am

Some questions: 1) What build are you using? 2) Was this problem reported earlier? 3) What is value in the timeout setting? 4) What is value in the check mail interval setting? 5) How long was your server offline for? 6) If 1 and 2 have approximately same answer, what happen if you set the checkmail interval to 3 times the timeout setting?

Your problem may be related to 3 and 4. At the least, the answers should help diagnose the problem.
Jim

Postby Pete » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:57 pm

Hi Jim,

1) I'm using build 2000 (and was using it this afternoon when the problem occurred again).

2) I reported the problem in the previous forums (probably months ago), but I never reported it to PSI or entered it into Bug Traction because no one else in the forums directly confirmed my finding.

3) I use a timeout value of 19 seconds.

4) My timed mail check occurs every 6 minutes.

5) My server was offline for about an hour today (starting about 14:30).

6) Well, the check-mail interval is already quite a bit more than the timeout, so there's probably not a conflict here.

To be more specific, my server is FastMail. Of course FM has multiple servers, so it's possible that what happens to me doesn't happen to all FM users. Or, it might not even be specific to FM.

What seems apparent to me, although I have no proof, is that when my FM server is down, I cannot connect to it via its webmail interface and PocoMail "hangs" during timed mail checks. I don't know if PocoMail ever exchanges any communications with the server in this situation. PM (or the underlying communications protocols) must find the server somehow, because when I type in a bogus address for the mail server, PM immediately stops and puts a socket-error message in the log window. So, it's as if there is some kind of handshake at some unknown level, but the server never lets PM log me in, and PocoMail waits patiently... forever.

It would be okay if PM logged in as soon as the server came back to life, but unfortunately when this happens, PM does not recover and I have to intervene (as I described above).
Pete

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:24 am

Thanks Pete. I suggest you enter it in Bug Traction.
Jim

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:53 am

Added #1139.
Pete

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To