[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Viewing IMAP boxes in Pocomail

Viewing IMAP boxes in Pocomail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Viewing IMAP boxes in Pocomail

Postby speerga » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:57 pm

Hi. IMAP is still very new to me. I have a domain which allows me to use either POP or IMAP. I have set up "myname@mydomain.com" as an IMAP account in Poco.

But when I display the "accounts online" it shows me a folder named "myname@mydomain.com" -- and no "+" sign in the tree view beside that folder. When I click on the folder name, there are no mailboxes. It simply shows in the preview pain that says "details for myname@mydomain.com" and a clickable link to "edit settings."

What have I got wrong? I know that I left the default settings under "IMAP" when I set the account up in Poco, because I didn't now how to set up what Pocomail asks for in the IMAP tab: That means IMAP mailbox: inbox and Root folder is blank. Also, the "authentication type is CRAM-MD5 because that's what's showing by default and I haven't a clue whether to change it.

Any IMAP users out there who can tell me what I'm not doing or what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Pete » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:40 pm

Hi Gary, it's been a long time since I tried to use IMAP with PocoMail. I think that with FastMail, you have to put a period (.) in the field for Root Folder. I'm not sure about the other settings.
Pete

Re: IMAP boxes don't even show in Pocomail

Postby Kaigan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:15 pm

speerga wrote:What have I got wrong? I know that I left the default settings under "IMAP" when I set the account up in Poco, because I didn't now how to set up what Pocomail asks for in the IMAP tab: That means IMAP mailbox: inbox and Root folder is blank. Also, the "authentication type is CRAM-MD5 because that's what's showing by default and I haven't a clue whether to change it.

On the IMAP page I use login for my authentication for both Fastmail and Mailsnare. In the root folder put "Inbox." which will put the Inbox as your root folder. As Pete said there is a period after Inbox in root folder.
When you click on Accounts Online and your account name, PocoMail connects to your IMAP account and Inbox with a "+" next to should appear. All your other mailboxes will be below your Inbox.

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby speerga » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:09 am

Ah, well. Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't do any good. Pocomail continues to show only that useless account details and "edit .." link, with absolutely no mailbox structure showing whatsoever.

I recall some IMAP discussions when 3.2 was still in beta and someone making the comment that poco's IMAP functions were better than SOME of the email clients out there.

Sadly, I can see and access the IMAP account using Eudora AND using that free email client Thunderbird.

So what am I doing wrong, O IMAP gurus whoever you may be?? :lol:

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:38 am

You have to disable SSL with IMAP (at least with FastMail).

IMAP Mailbox = Inbox
Root Folder = .
Auth. Type = Login
Pete

Postby speerga » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:53 am

Pete wrote:You have to disable SSL with IMAP (at least with FastMail).

IMAP Mailbox = Inbox
Root Folder = .
Auth. Type = Login

Ah. OK. That's all set up the way you've suggested. I don't even know what SSL is, though, and whether it's disabled by default or whether it's something I have to change in Pocomail?

But assuming it's disabled -- I still see absolutely no mailboxes. Only the "myname@mydomain.com" folder in Pocomail's tree structure.

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:00 am

Disable "Accounts Setup > (your account) > Incoming tab > Enable secure connection (SSL)". :)
Pete

Postby speerga » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:02 am

Just an added note on this whole matter. I can get by without IMAP, but it's EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING when I see posts throughout the forums about continued work on IMAP functionality within PocoMail -- and I can't get it to function AT ALL.

I know during beta, as I've alluded above, there was great response from a couple of people about IMAP improvement.

Yet -- and sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here -- this IMAP account is immediately and fully available in a free email client (Thunderbird) and won't even show the mailboxes in PocoMail.

I can only conclude that there something I'm missing, probably, or something really bogus about IMAP support in Poco?? :shock:

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:07 am

Since you posted right after me, did you see my last post? When I enable SSL, then I see exactly what you see. You must disable it. :)

You're using FastMail, right? I just setup and tested a new IMAP account in PocoMail that works fine with FastMail. My point is that this should work for you too. Maybe also verify that your username and password are correct.

One other thing, make sure that you enable the option to leave mail on server if you haven't already done that.
Pete

Postby speerga » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:31 am

Thanks, Pete. The SSL was disabled. The "Leave Mail on Server" option is checked.

Still nothing.

No, I'm not using Fastmail. This is an account on a domain I own which is hosted with a Web host which allows both POP and IMAP.

So I created this particular email address to test using IMAP and using the IMAP functions in Pocomail.

And, as I've chronicled here, for whatever reason the Pocomail IMAP functionality won't work at all.

For what it's worth -- I had set up an IMAP account in Pocomail 3.1 for a different account at the same domain, and it almost worked. It was displaying the sub folders on that account in the Pocomail tree and would let me click into the sub folders. But it wouldn't show the "Inbox" folder.

Alas, 3.2, which supposedly improved IMAP support, won't let me see anything on this IMAP account. :lol:

I guess I'll just give up on Poco's IMAP functions. Should I really need to use IMAP, I'll set up the account in Thunderbird.

The search for a really dependible, single email client that does "everything" right goes on. :shock:

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To