[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - inserting html into a new message ?

inserting html into a new message ?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

inserting html into a new message ?

Postby saoir » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:00 am

Apols if my searching has been flawed.... I cannot find this info though I think I recall it on the old forum..

How can I generate a letter/layout in html (say in Dreamweaver) and insert it into an email in Pocomail ?

Can I do this at all ? I want to have a table and an image placed with html.

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby saoir » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:45 am

Ok.. I found a message relating this .. but the only aoption it mentions is to start a new template and to save it...and then to open that file and edit the html or insert new html.

...tried this and though I copy/pasted html from Dreamweaver (I am a web designer) Pocomail doesn't display line breaks, paragraphs or images....

Is this simply an impossible task ? I don't understand why not as I receive html designed web mailing lists regularly and they have advanced layouts ...

anyone ?
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:16 am

I also use DW, I'll have a think and come back to you; not tonight though. There might be an issue with templates not displaying HTML properly, but when you start to compose a message from the template then it is OK. I'll have a look.
robin

Postby saoir » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:28 am

Any ideas Robin ? :lol:
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:02 am

Not yet - fell off the todo list. Back on now... :wink:
robin

Postby robin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:17 am

OK saoir, I've had a look at this but before we start I have to ask: why not use the tools that Poco provides to generate a styled message?; meanwhile I've come up against the same blank wall that you have, but with some wrinkles.

I created a new template in PM (Barca actually), and then opened it in DW. I added a table and formatted it with styles, then saved it as .htm, then renamed it to .txt so that Poco could find it. Poco opened the file but in doing so wrote some strange stuff into the previous formatting that I had created.

In addition, Poco does not seem to like class selectors in the style declaration without the top-level tag (e.g. you can't define a class as .right, you have to define it as td.right).

This is the code that I created in DW (the body, LI and p selectors were created by PM when I first created the template):
Code: Select all
%subject%:Styled Newsletter
%html%
%body%
<html><head><meta name="Generator" content="PSI HTML/CSS Generator"/>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body{font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;font-color:'#000000';}
LI{display:list-item;margin:0.00in;}
p{display:block;margin:0.00in;}
td.left {
   text-align: left;
   width: 10%;
   background-color: #0066FF;
   font-weight: bold;
   color: #FFFFFF;
}
td.right {
   text-align: right;
   width: 10%;
   background-color: #0066FF;
   font-weight: bold;
   color: #FFFFFF;
}
--></style>
</head>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#F9ECF7" >
<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  <tr>
    <td class="left">This is top left</td>
    <td><div align="center">This is the middle</div></td>
    <td class="right" >This is top right
    </td>
  </tr>
  <tr >
    <td class="left">&nbsp;</td>
    <td >&nbsp;</td>
    <td class="right">&nbsp;</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td  class="left">&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td class="right"><font color="#0066FF">&nbsp;</font></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td  class="left">&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td class="left">&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
  </tr>
</table>
<p><SPAN style="font-size:10pt;">This is a styled newsletter.</SPAN></p>
<p><span style="font-size: 10pt">This is another part of the newsletter.</span></p>
</BODY></html>
It's not the best code I've written, but you get the idea. However when PM opens this as a template this is what it creates:
Code: Select all
<html><head><meta name="Generator" content="PSI HTML/CSS Generator"/>
<style type="text/css"><!--
body{font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;font-color:'#000000';}
.body{display:block;font-family:"Tahoma";font-size:10pt;}
LI{display:list-item;margin:0.00in;}
p{display:block;margin:0.00in;}
td.left{display:block;font-weight:bold;color:white;text-align:left;background-color:#0066FF;}
td.right{display:block;font-weight:bold;color:white;text-align:left;background-color:#0066FF;}
--></style>
</head><BODY BGCOLOR="#F9ECF7" ><p class="body" style="">&nbsp;</p>
<table style="border:1px black;padding:1px;width:100%;margin-left:0.00in;margin-right:0.00in"><tr><td class="left" VALIGN="top" style="width:43%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;">This is top left</SPAN></td>
<td class="left" VALIGN="top" style="text-align:center;background-color:black;width:32%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;">This is the middle</SPAN></td>
<td class="right" VALIGN="top" style="width:25%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;">This is top right</SPAN></td></tr>
<tr><td class="left" VALIGN="top" style="width:43%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;"> </SPAN></td>
<td class="left" VALIGN="top" style="background-color:black;width:32%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;"> </SPAN></td>
<td class="right" VALIGN="top" style="width:25%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;"> </SPAN></td></tr>
<tr><td class="left" VALIGN="top" style="width:43%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;"> </SPAN></td>
<td class="left" VALIGN="top" style="background-color:black;width:32%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;"> </SPAN></td>
<td class="right" VALIGN="top" style="width:25%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;color:#0066FF;"> </SPAN></td></tr>
<td class="right" VALIGN="top" style="width:25%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;color:#0066FF;"> </SPAN></td></tr>
<td class="right" VALIGN="top" style="width:25%;border:0px;"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;color:#0066FF;"> </SPAN></td></tr></table>
<p class="p"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;">This is a styled newsletter.</SPAN></p>
<p class="p"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;">This is another part of the newsletter.</SPAN></p>
<br>
-- <br>
</body></html>
Notice all the extra "style" statements that have been added in using the template? For example the "width=43%" and the blithe assumption that I want a black background.

I think that we have to conclude that the use of "external" HTML in templates is out of the question at the moment.
robin

Postby saoir » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:48 am

robin wrote:OK saoir, I've had a look at this but before we start I have to ask: why not use the tools that Poco provides to generate a styled message?

Because it doesn't allow the use of tables with any practical level of control over their width an size.
If that single issue was possible, then the styles inside PM would go a long way toward a solution.
Alignment of images within the table cells is another issue.
meanwhile I've come up against the same blank wall that you have, but with some wrinkles.

I appreciate the time you put into this and see the problems you have encountered.

As a major Pocomail supporter for well over a year, and someone who has turned quite a few friends into users, I think this limitation is unfortunate and worth fixing by Slaven.

If PM can read incoming html emails correctly, and interpret the html correctly, then there is no clear reason why composition of new emails cannot be tweeked to facilitate the insertion of self-generated html and the correct previewing of it.
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:01 pm

I fully agree :D
robin

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To