[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Random quotation in signature? [Eric: changed subject]

Random quotation in signature? [Eric: changed subject]

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Random quotation in signature? [Eric: changed subject]

Postby meandrake » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:44 am

Well for a long time I have been using The Bat! and found it to be an excellent email proggie. It was the latest version with a lot of stuff broken that has made me evaluate PM.

There is one feature though that I miss. PM offers just about everything else I got from TB.

In TB, I could append a random quotation from a text file that I have filled up with famous quotations. The program would pick up a random sentence from the file. The text file was a number of quoatations each on a separate line (Hard return at end). All it needed was a simple sentence in the reply template:

%COOKIE="D:\Program Files\TheBat\Mail\cookies.txt"

Is something similar possible in PM? Pocoscript is a new concept to me and I might figure out if it is possible in a month or more. Any help greatly appreciated. If not text file, I could put my quotations in any format manageable. CSV, Database...whatever you suggest.
meandrake
Poco Tourist

Postby Hogyt » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:23 am

You could do this with PocoScript but its easier to do it using Common Variables via a signature or template. Go to Tools->Edit Signatures and enter

Code: Select all
%random%:"filename"

where filename is the file containing your quotes. Then in Tools->Accounts Setup select the account you want to use this with and in the Outgoing section select the signature in the personal information area. This will pick a random line from your file and put it in your signature.

Alternatively you can insert the signature by hand when you are composing a message (see the Insert menu).

Or you could create a template and put the code above in it and use that instead. It's up to you how you go about it :D
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:37 am

Topic moved to PocoMail section. :wink:
Eric

Postby meandrake » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:45 pm

Ahh this is a great help. Armed with this tidbit, I could find a lot in the help files about the common variables.

Poco Rox.
meandrake
Poco Tourist

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:56 pm

Not all the common variable tags have been documented. Someone sent me a full list they extracted and I've added it to the unofficial FAQ but many of the functions are still undocumented there (you can often guess at the results though).
Michael

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To