[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Questions for Poco-Experts

Questions for Poco-Experts

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Questions for Poco-Experts

Postby Bako » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:33 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to PocoMail, but the software seems so good that I spend half a day exporting/importing years of email from Outlook. Using PocoMail, I was reminded that Microsoft never updates their products after they've dominated the market with them, such as Internet Explorer (only security patches) or most of Office. But Outlook is the worst; I don't think it's changed since the 90's.

I love PocoMail, but I had a question or two for the more experienced users out there:

First, is there a way to set it up so that replying to a message adds the recipient to your address book? That was a nice convenience of Outlook, and you never had to worry about adding anyone's address -- if you wrote to them, it was automatic.

Second, is there a one-click solution for highlighting/marking a message? In Outlook, you can put a little flag next to it. Poco has more marking options, but they all seem to require several steps, and since I use this feature a lot, it would be nice to have a one-click option. I made two simple scripts to mark and unmark a message, but it wastes space in the toolbar -- can the script detect if the message is already marked so I could set up a one-button toggle?

Third, is there a way to get it so I'm not notified of junk mail / spam? The spam filter is beginning to work now, but part of the annoyance of spam is being told you have a new email and then finding out it's spam -- it would be much nicer not to hear about it at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Bako
Bako
Poco Tourist

Whoops, forgot something

Postby Bako » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:37 pm

One more thing I forgot...

I use multiple email accounts, and have them go to different folders (very easy to set up on PocoMail!), but I find that when I reply to messages that are to secondary accounts, the 'from' goes to my default account.

Is there a way to set it up so that PocoMail chooses the right account automatically, based on the message I'm replying to? Outlook did this automatically and I didn't have to think about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bako
Bako
Poco Tourist

Re: Questions for Poco-Experts

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:53 am

Hi Bako & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
Bako wrote:I love PocoMail, but I had a question or two for the more experienced users out there:
Glad you like it. I'll try to answer as much as possible.
First, is there a way to set it up so that replying to a message adds the recipient to your address book?
In the Extras you'll find a script 'addrecipient.poc', which will pretty much do want you want. :)
Only available to registered users.
Second, is there a one-click solution for highlighting/marking a message?
In the index pane below 'i' you can click in this column and change the marking for the message, not the highlghting. Maybe a script could do that! Have a look in the Extras or Script section. You can always post your request, if it's not present. Maybe someone can help you on that.
Third, is there a way to get it so I'm not notified of junk mail / spam?
Take a look at this topic.
Is there a way to set it up so that PocoMail chooses the right account automatically, based on the message I'm replying to?
An Event OnReply could easily do that when replying from within a certain mailbox, maybe take also a look at this topic.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Thanks very much

Postby Bako » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:50 am

Thank you for all the information, and the welcome. I will have to go through all the scripts available once I can download them; sounds like more than one problem will be taken care of there.

Regarding replying from separate accounts, this appears to be working automatically with new mail I've received at the secondary accounts. It doesn't work with mail imported from Outlook, perhaps because PocoMail isn't looking at the 'recipient' address when replying, but it must classify what account it's from when it receives the mail itself.

Otherwise, it looks like clear sailing. So many great features, and amazing how easy it was to get rid of spam notification! Now if I can just get its correct filtering percentage over 30%!

Thanks again,

Bako
Bako
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:57 am

Eric wrote:
Is there a way to set it up so that PocoMail chooses the right account automatically, based on the message I'm replying to?
An Event OnReply could easily do that when replying from within a certain mailbox, maybe take also a look at this topic.
PocoMail should do this automatically. How have you set it up so that mail from different accounts goes to different folders?

PocoMail lets you set up different accounts as you know, each of those accounts has a "default" inbox. When you check e-mail for that account Poco writes a header (you can see it - called "X-Account") with the account name that received the message; when you reply to a message Poco uses that header to get the right sender account.

It works for me in version 3.2 which suggests that something in your setup needs fine-tuning.
robin

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:37 am

robin wrote:PocoMail should do this automatically. How have you set it up so that mail from different accounts goes to different folders?
I know, Robin, but every message is sorted to the appropriate folder, regardless of which account was used. Further more I only use one Inbox.

Ex. message A goes to mailbox X, message C goes to mailbox X, both using different accounts.
Reply is done using account B.

This applies to certain mailboxes.

It works for me in version 3.2 which suggests that something in your setup needs fine-tuning.
No fine-tuning necessary, it's working like a charm. :wink:
Eric

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:35 am

Eric wrote:In the index pane below 'i' you can click in this column and change the marking for the message, not the highlghting. Maybe a script could do that!

I had forgotten about the ability to mark a message by clicking in the "I" column, Eric. Thanks for that tip.
Bako, that's quite easy, but I did recently post some scripts that allow "one-click" presses of toolbar buttons that make this a little quicker (except for the initial setup of the scripts and buttons). See http://pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=963

Eric wrote:
Bako wrote:[...] is there a way to set it up so that PocoMail chooses the right account automatically, based on the message I'm replying to?
An Event OnReply could easily do that when replying from within a certain mailbox, [...]

Just to clarify, Eric, you use the OnReply event so that PocoMail will select the account based on the mailbox in which the message exists rather than the account from which the original message was downloaded, right? Otherwise, as Robin said, I don't think that it should be necessary to use the OnReply event.

Bako wrote:Regarding replying from separate accounts, this appears to be working automatically with new mail I've received at the secondary accounts. It doesn't work with mail imported from Outlook, perhaps because PocoMail isn't looking at the 'recipient' address when replying, but it must classify what account it's from when it receives the mail itself.

As Robin said, PocoMail normally adds an X-Account header to each message that contains the name of the account from which you downloaded the message. I don't know how the Outlook import tool works, but it's likely that this header is either missing or is set to your default account.

A couple of suggestions:

1) You could compress all mailboxes, close PM, and edit each relevant .mbx file to add the appropriate X-Account header to each message in those .mbx files.

2) I don't know if this would work, but another possible solution would be to create a filter in "Tools > Filters" and click on the "1" tab. The filter would: search From for @ (case-sensitive match) then perform change account to.
Then -- either one mailbox at a time or do "Edit > Search Messages" -- select all relevant messages and then do "Tools > Run Filters Now > Manual 1". You'd have to test this because I'm not sure if PM will allow you to add the X-Account header to the messages using a manual filter. I'm also not sure if PM will add the header to the original messages if you use "Edit > Search Messages" because the Search mailbox contains links, not actual messages -- you might have to manually select messages in each relevant mailbox instead of using the search command.
Pete

Thanks

Postby Bako » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:36 am

Thanks for the explanation, Robin. As I noted just before your post, it is working on mail I've received through PocoMail, it was only with imported mail that I had the problem. Clearly this is because of the header method for distinguishing accounts that you described.

Cheers,
Bako
Bako
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:13 am

Pete wrote:I had forgotten about the ability to mark a message by clicking in the "I" column, Eric. Thanks for that tip.
My pleasure, Pete. :wink:
Just to clarify, Eric, you use the OnReply event so that PocoMail will select the account based on the mailbox in which the message exists rather than the account from which the original message was downloaded, right?
Correct, Pete. I've about 6 accounts from my work, which are always filitered to my main work mailbox & sub mailboxes. Regardless which email address they used, I always reply with shop@isp.com and my signature for that account. (including some promotion which can change during that period)
This is just an example from one of my mailboxes. :)
Eric

While you're still here....

Postby Bako » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:35 am

Two more questions, if anyone's listening...

Whenever I startup PocoMail and go to a mail folder, it starts me out the the last message (at the bottom of the list) selected. Since I have it set up so that the newest messages are on top, I have to scroll up to the top of the mailbox to see new mail, etc. This is the case with every mailbox.

1. Is there a way to have it default to the top-most, or most recent message when entering a mail folder?

2. Shorter question -- is there a way to set it so that my Junk Mail folder won't display images and/or HTML, while leaving my other folders so they do? I set the 'custom preview pane' to 'enabled' for the junk mail folder, but switching the image/sanitize/html toggles still affect all boxes.

Thanks again,

Bako
Bako
Poco Tourist

Re: While you're still here....

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:57 am

Bako wrote:1. Is there a way to have it default to the top-most, or most recent message when entering a mail folder?
Yes, go to Options | Checking mail and check the box 'New messages to top of index".
2. Shorter question -- is there a way to set it so that my Junk Mail folder won't display images and/or HTML, while leaving my other folders so they do? I set the 'custom preview pane' to 'enabled' for the junk mail folder, but switching the image/sanitize/html toggles still affect all boxes.
You can create an Event OnDisplay to sanitize or strip HTML for certain mailboxes, like Inbox, Junkmail & Trash. In doing so you don't have to change the preview pane. :)

Take a look at this topic. :wink:
Eric

You're too kind

Postby Bako » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:35 pm

Thanks again for your help! And I apologize if any of this was obvious (i.e. the 'new messages to top of index' thingy. The 'event' thing is marvelous, I'm going to have to experiment with that. Got it working right away for the HTML sanitation of the spam folder.

Feel free to ignore this, but I've run into another small problem that you might know off hand. I was using the two-line index in the horizontal preview plane, and for a while it would show the first bit of email messages on the lower line, as it's supposed to. Then at some point it went away, and the lower line is just empty. I've tried many things to get it back, including switching around all the preview plane settings, but nothing is working. I must have switched something on that prevents the 'first line preview' from working, but not having any luck tracking it down. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Bako
Bako
Poco Tourist

Re: Thanks

Postby robin » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:46 pm

Bako wrote:Thanks for the explanation, Robin. As I noted just before your post, it is working on mail I've received through PocoMail, it was only with imported mail that I had the problem. Clearly this is because of the header method for distinguishing accounts that you described.

Cheers,
Bako
Hi Bako - I didn't see your post before I sent mine (too long thinking about the answer :) ). All now becomes clear. If it is an issue you could add the header manually, but it may not be worth the effort :D
robin

Re: You're too kind

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:04 pm

Hi Bako,
Bako wrote:Thanks again for your help!
My pleasure getting you started. :)
And I apologize if any of this was obvious (i.e. the 'new messages to top of index' thingy. The 'event' thing is marvelous, I'm going to have to experiment with that. Got it working right away for the HTML sanitation of the spam folder.
No problem, it's easily missed. Glad you got the Events working. I agree it's a powerful feature, but so are many others.
Feel free to ignore this, but I've run into another small problem that you might know off hand. I was using the two-line index in the horizontal preview plane, and for a while it would show the first bit of email messages on the lower line, as it's supposed to. Then at some point it went away, and the lower line is just empty. I've tried many things to get it back, including switching around all the preview plane settings, but nothing is working. I must have switched something on that prevents the 'first line preview' from working, but not having any luck tracking it down. Any ideas?
I don't use this two-line index, but it could be a setting of which I'm not aware.
Maybe someone using it can answer that question, because on my system it's working just fine! :wink:
Eric

Postby robin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:24 am

I don't use the two-lines; I found it inconsistent in which messages it showed the first line of.
robin

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To