[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Variable SMTP servers

Variable SMTP servers

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Variable SMTP servers

Postby bholt » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:26 am

I've been trying PocoMail PE for about a day, and so far I like it. One question I haven't been able to work out, though.

The whole idea behind this email client is that you take it with you, and run it in different network environments. Many ISPs now require that you use their own SMTP server (in other words, they block the standard SMTP port for outgoing connections). This is one area where (for example) Thunderbird has a better approach, configuring a single SMTP server for all accounts, rather than having it on an account-by-account basis.

Is there a quick and convenient way to temporarily select a different SMTP host? It seems like a pain to have to go edit all my accounts every time.
bholt
New Arrival

Postby cricketnz » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:51 am

I concur! I have met various occasions now that I cannot send from PPE because either a firewall or the local ISP is not allowing me to use my own SMTP server.
It actually sometimes is a bit embarrassing having to ask the owner of the PC you're using which SMTP address you need to use to get mail out. Often they don't even know.

It would be great if somehow Poco could read the smtp address from the registry or an .ini file. However if this is too dificult, the option to set a temporary "global" smtp server would be very handy indeed.

Jim
cricketnz
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:05 am

Simply don't fill in outgoing server settings in each of your email accounts and Poco will use the default server, that you can configure at:

Tools/Options/Default server

Everytime you need you just go there and change the smtp server, Poco shall remember the all the previously used ones, so you only have to write each once.

Also consider X-Ray app at http://www.xrayapp.com/, that is a standalone utility to accomplish that, freeware.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Various work-arounds

Postby bholt » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:00 am

Thanks to the previous poster for pointing out that there's a default SMTP server setting. That approach works for SMTP servers that don't require a password (or at least, I couldn't find anyway to provision a password for the default SMTP server). It's probably a good solution for a lot of home ISPs that use your network location as the authentication.

Other solutions would involve using a proxy, such as the one just mentioned or Email Relay (http://emailrelay.sourceforge.net/). If you have a limited set of computers that you use regularly (home, work, etc.) then you could set up the email relay on each one, and it would work well. More of a hassle if you're dropping in on random internet cafes or airport lounges to check your email, though.
bholt
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To