[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Change "Account Server Settings" via Pocoscript

Change "Account Server Settings" via Pocoscript

Scripting questions and ideas

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:30 am

I'm dismayed that an ISP as big as BellSouth has taken the extreme measure to block port 25 from all of their customers. If it was me, I would switch to a different ISP ASAP. I realize though that that isn't always possible.

I found an interesting explanation on their website: http://help.bellsouth.net/blscontent/co ... g_page.asp

Just FYI, FastMail will let you use port 26 too, exactly to workaround this situation. In addition, FastMail has workarounds so that you can use almost *any* port number that you want. See the SMTP section of
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/Ex ... verDetails
and see
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/Ex ... ernalProxy
Pete

Postby helloharry » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:56 am

Thanks all for your help!
I actually have come back to a more basic idea, which uses a good old batch file to change the respective parameter:
It looks like this:

@echo off
IF EXIST c:\bellsouth.txt. (
echo Deactivate individual SMTP server settings!
mtr -nl -b:bak .\accounts.ini - "IsOutgoing=1" = "IsOutgoing=0"
) ELSE (
echo Activate individual SMTP server settings!
mtr -nl -b:bak .\accounts.ini - "IsOutgoing=0" = "IsOutgoing=1"
)
start poco.exe

The program mtr.exe (Minitrue) is a freeware command line based "Search&Replace" and can be found e.g. on http://www.idiotsdelight.net/minitrue/
The batch file is easily controlled by the existence of the file c:\Bellsouth.txt which is just some dummy text file. This enables the script to adapt my account settings automatically to my home computer (has this file) or my office computer (does not have this file).

Perhaps this is useful for many other Bellsouth users with more than one email account who use one and the same pocomail version on different computers.

Bye!
helloharry
Poco Tourist

Continuing this thread having the problem now 4/19/05 3:36pm

Postby Appamatix » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:37 am

Yes I also am having this problem only I do not have a DSL connection I'm on dial-up. Is this really what is going on here that Bellsouth is blocking any access via port 25 but to their own mailserver? I also noticed that somehow Bellsouth like's to integrate itself with the "Client for Microsoft networks"!

I have disabled this in my connections but still to no avail in being able to send anything out from within PocoMail. This really pardon my slang here :arrow: "sucks".
Appamatix
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Continuing this thread having the problem now 4/19/05 3:

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:57 am

Appamatix wrote:Yes I also am having this problem only I do not have a DSL connection I'm on dial-up. Is this really what is going on here that Bellsouth is blocking any access via port 25 but to their own mailserver? I also noticed that somehow Bellsouth like's to integrate itself with the "Client for Microsoft networks"!

I have disabled this in my connections but still to no avail in being able to send anything out from within PocoMail. This really pardon my slang here :arrow: "sucks".

This can't be, I have 3 different ISP's besides Bellsouth and I can send via port 25 on all three. To test this, I forced the port 25 in my account setup. I was able to send.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:10 am

I just checked my ISP sites and 2 of them offer alternative ports to use when sending email if port 25 is blocked, but, they use port 25 as a default. I would have to specifically setup the alternative ports in my setup.

So again, I can confirm that in my case I was able to send email from my non-Bellsouth ISP's using port 25. The alternative port is 587. I can't locate the third yet.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Previous

Return to PocoScript Help and How-To