[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Mailing List Management

Mailing List Management

Scripting questions and ideas

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Mailing List Management

Postby sokoyu » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:40 pm

Dear All,

I work for a charity and manage a regular (opt-in/opt-out) mailing list. I am using a number of Poco Scripts to handle the mailing list, but a number of things are not working very well, so I'd like to restart my system from scratch, but I really don't know enough about PocoScript to find a better way to work and I would be pathetically grateful for any good advice on what to do. I'm sure that others would be interested in a wholesale solution to this issue.

Requirements.
Subscribe - when people send emails to a given address, their address is added to a mailing list (there needs to be some spam filtering).
Unsubscribe. When people send emails to a different address, their names are removed from the mailing list (again, some spam filtering needed).
Send mail. An email (ideally in HTML, with attachments) can be send to all members of the given address list.

Is there a good one off solution?
sokoyu
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:24 pm

Do you have any special reason to prefer having it in Pocoscript over freeware server-based mailing list manager that works completely unattended?
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby sokoyu » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:38 pm

I've not found any freeware mail servers available - can you reccomend one (if that doesn't break forum rules)?
sokoyu
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:31 am

phplist at http://tincan.co.uk/

list of similar apps at:
http://tincan.co.uk/?lid=1205

I didn't use it, but it comes preinstalled with many webhosting packages, so it can't be that bad.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby sokoyu » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:01 am

Thanks for these ideas Thomas. I'm not sure that my web host will allow me to run them though - hence the wish to have something hosted on my PC.
sokoyu
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:18 am

There used to be a WebAdmin script pack for sale through PSI but I cannot find it on their site at the moment. This pack had several scripts including ones to:
  • Adding addresses to books/groups
  • Group manager to process subscribe/unsubscribe requests
  • Removing addresses from address books
  • Send requested documents
(There are several other scripts included the pack).

I have sent an email to PSI asking them if the pack is still available.
Michael

Return to PocoScript Help and How-To