[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Could PocoMail work for more than 2 minutes between crashes?

Could PocoMail work for more than 2 minutes between crashes?

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Could PocoMail work for more than 2 minutes between crashes?

Postby Brian S » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Okey dokey, I've been using PocoMailPE for quite a while now. Don't remember exactly, but it's been more than a year. Usually, my biggest problem was it crashing for some inexplicable reason every few days. Lately though, it's been irritatingly defective.

My first big problems started when I had PE installed on an iPod shuffle so I could check email while on vacation. I had two mail profiles I checked during this time. One profile worked fine. The second would take half an hour to download messages, and then the entire interface was slow. There was a delay when doing anything. Click a button, wait three seconds, and *then* it would do something. I have since moved PE back onto a hard drive and that profile is working quickly again.

My most recent and by far most irritating problem now is that PocoMail decides to start crashing all the time, for no reason. It could be five minutes or 30 seconds between forcing XP to end the Poco.exe process and starting PE back up again, and then it will just freeze up again. For no reason. It doesn't matter what profile I use or what I click. It just decides to freeze. It *was* worse last week. When it was crashing then, I had actually force an end to processes, log out of Windows, and log back in again, because it was even causing explorer.exe to freeze.

I've compressed mailboxes and reinstalled PE. I even talked nice to it. But this quirky program doesn't work worth a damn anymore. Checking email shouldn't be this stressful.

Thank you,

Brian Salisbury
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:00 pm

Hi Brian,
Brian S wrote:My most recent and by far most irritating problem now is that PocoMail decides to start crashing all the time, for no reason.
I've been using PE for quite some time now and it never crashed on me.

It could be your poco.ini file became corrupt.
Close Poco PE and use your Explorer to rename the poco.ini file to poco.bak.
Restart Poco PE and this ini-file will be recreated.
Previous settings will be lost of course. :?
I've compressed mailboxes and reinstalled PE. I even talked nice to it. But this quirky program doesn't work worth a damn anymore. Checking email shouldn't be this stressful.
Talking nice to it can help sometimes :lol: , but finding the cause of the crashing is more important.
If the above doesn't make any difference then another app is probably the culprit. Are you using NVidia drivers?
If so, have a look at this topic.

Try it out and let me know how it goes. :wink:
Eric

Postby Brian S » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:30 am

Eric wrote:Are you using NVidia drivers?
If so, have a look at this topic.

You're a savvy dude. Thanks. I have recently installed nView on my system. I have disabled nView for Poco and we'll see how it goes. I hope i don't need to remove my .ini.

Are there any common reasons why that one profile be so much slower when on a thumb drive? Could that be related to a bad .ini file?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:15 am

Brian S wrote:Are there any common reasons why that one profile be so much slower when on a thumb drive? Could that be related to a bad .ini file?
You could try it out by renaming your poco.ini file and letting Poco recreate a new one.
See how it goes with the newly created ini and if it still shows slowdowns you can put your original back. :)

However I don't see any slowdowns on my system, so it could be due to your NVidia driver too.
Just a wild guess of course. :wink:
Eric

Postby Brian S » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:22 am

The slowdown was on my laptop. So not sure what it it was.

So far so good on PocoMail. Hasn't crashed yet today. Let's hope it stays that way!

Thanks for your help.

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:31 am

Brian S wrote:So far so good on PocoMail. Hasn't crashed yet today. Let's hope it stays that way!
Good to hear. Now you can really enjoy the use of PocoMail. :)
Thanks for your help.
My pleasure Brian. :wink:
Eric

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To