[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Banning mail with certain words

Banning mail with certain words

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Banning mail with certain words

Postby confused » Fri May 20, 2005 12:19 am

I would like to ban mail that contains certain words but am not sure if I can do this with Barca. I was looking for the place in filters where I would type the actual words I wanted to ban. Is this possible with Barca?
For example, I would like to ban mail from adult sites that contain the word "hot" in the subject. I would then move the mail to the trash mailbox if it contains "hot" or other words that I put in the list. I need to be shown step by step how to accomplish this as no list of words comes up when I try to create a filter.
confused

Postby Michael » Fri May 20, 2005 2:34 am

You can configure Barca's builtin junk mail filters to do this for you or you can build your own using Barca's filtering and a technique for using files within filters. You could even go further and implement a scripted solution if you liked (this would be considerably more complicated).

I will explain the builtin Junk Mail Filtering (JMF) to see if that works for you. There are two aspects to the builtin JMF filters, Bayesian (see below) and standard non-Bayesian. I will describe the non-Bayesian aspect now as that is what you have asked about.

You first have to enable the JMF. To do this:
  1. Open the Junk Mail Filtering window by selecting "Tools | Junk Mail Filtering..."
  2. Check the "Enable automatic Junk Mail filtering" box
  3. Select a sensitivity level (I recommend High)
  4. Go to the "General Settings" tab
  5. Select to run the junk mail filters AFTER downloading messages
  6. Check the "Run standard non-Bayesian filters" box
  7. Go to the "Word Lists" tab
  8. Use the various buttons to enter the criteria you want to use.

Next, open the "Filters" form (Tools | Filters) and select the "Incoming" tab. Make sure the "run Junk Mail filters" entry is at the end of the list (drag it to the end if necessary).

Note, the lists you build here can also be used in standard filters if you want to disable the JMF filters and use your own custom ones.

Bayesian filters are filters that learn over time. They start out fairly dumb and require you to classify messages as good and bad. Barca's implementation requires that you train a certain number of words into what are known as good and junk corpuses. This is done by simply using the "File as Junk" and "Classify as Good" icons at the far right of the preview pane toolbar. People report varying degrees of success with Barca's builtin Bayesian filtering.
Michael

Postby confused » Fri May 20, 2005 3:32 am

I still do not see where I can enter the words I would like to ban.
Under "Word Lists" in "Junk Mail Filtering" there are 5 buttons. If I press "Banned Subjects" where can I enter the word that I want ban?
confused

Postby confused » Fri May 20, 2005 3:39 pm

Apparently, upon pressing the "banned subject" toggle switch a file is supposed to pop up where you can enter the words you would like to ban.
On my Barca program no file pops up.
However, having heard something about a "file" to enter banned words I checked my Barca mail folder in the Barca directory and found a file called "junksubject." I opened the file with notepad and tried putting banned words in them then tested to see if it worked and it did.

The words should be placed on their own line (hit enter after you type each word) and you don t need to use commas or quotes around the words.

Thanks for the help. Your welcome.
confused

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To