[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Deleting X-Mailer and other X-Poco lines in headers

Deleting X-Mailer and other X-Poco lines in headers

Scripting questions and ideas

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Deleting X-Mailer and other X-Poco lines in headers

Postby smilingpocouser » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:11 pm

Hello,

I have only had PocoMail for 1 day, so please excuse if this is a foolish question.

I really do not like seeing lines such as 'X-Mailer: PocoMail blah blah - Licensed Version', and 'X-Poco-UID: blah' or 'X-Poco-Status: weird number' ... and most especially 'X-Account: whatever' in my outgoing emails. I tried deleting a couple of lines from my Poco.ini file, but that didn't resolve it.

Is it theoretically possible to write a script to achieve such a purpose .. i.e. send out emails from my account so that the recipients do not have to see, in their headers, what email client I am using and what name I have given to my account.

If it is theoretically possible to do this writing a script, then I'll keep on possibly using Pocomail. But if it is not possible, then I think I'll jettison it because it's lack of IMAP capabilities is also not that attractive to me.

Is what I am asking achievable ... and even better, has anyone actually done it?

Thank you.
Smiling Poco User
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Some of the headers you are talking about are not present in the sent
mail. I believe the X-Mailer header is the only one of the ones you mention that is sent. I have never tried to delete it from an outgoing message, it is possible that a script might be able to do this (I'm not certain that it would work but it could be attempted).

As to the other headers you mention, I'll list them and the purpose they serve:

• X-Poco-Status header is used to track the status of the message on your system
  • X-Account lists the account from which the message was sent or at which it was read. This is used by Poco to set the appropriate email address, including for replies.
  • X-Poco-UID is, I believe, used to keep track of individual messages.
Michael

Postby smilingpocouser » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:48 pm

Hello,

Michael wrote:Some of the headers you are talking about are not present in the sent
mail.]

I had just discovered this!! I had made the mistake of examining emails sent from one account to another entirely within Pocomail. It had just occurred to me that maybe I should send a message to myself and examine it in a DIFFERENT client,.

[ I believe the X-Mailer header is the only one of the ones you mention that is sent. I have never tried to delete it from an outgoing message, it is possible that a script might be able to do this (I'm not certain that it would work but it could be attempted).]

I have just succeeded in doing this!
It takes a one-line script that goes:
DeleteHeader "X-Mailer:" %message

[As to the other headers you mention, I'll list them and the purpose they serve:]

• X-Poco-Status header is used to track the status of the message on your system
  • X-Account lists the account from which the message was sent or at which it was read. This is used by Poco to set the appropriate email address, including for replies.
  • X-Poco-UID is, I believe, used to keep track of individual messages.

There is, in fact another X-message that is transmitted. This is:
There is a second X-line that is transmitted, and this is:
X-Sasl-enc:

Do you know what that is?

I was about to try deleting it to see what would happen.

I am, however, relieved that the X-Mailer line was so easy to delete, and also pleased that the other lines are not transmitted. It was silly of me not to have tried observing the headers from an alternate email client before posting to the forum, and I apologise for the unnecessary bandwidth that this caused.

If you could tell me what the X-Sasl-enc header signifies I would be obliged, although by the time you've responded I'll probably have run an experiment of my own!!

Thank you for your assistance and information.
Smiling Poco User
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:49 pm

I'm not sure about the "X-Sasl-enc" header (I don't see it in any message I have sent or received). Is it possible that it is being inserted by the mail server?
Michael

Postby smilingpocouser » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:31 am

Hi,

I have found out what the X-Sasl-enc header is. As you suspected, it is indeed inserted by my outgoing mailserver. It's an insurance against spammers. It is apparently an MD5 hash coding of every user's login-name at that server. This makes it independent of any 'from' address they use, because from addresses can as you know be easily forged. If some third party therefore complains about pieces of spam coming from that particular server, the uler can be identified by the server owner no matter how many different email addresses the person has used, because all that person's emails will have the same X-Sasl header.

Tthank you for your help and interest, but we can now look on this matter as closed because I achieved the result I wanted, which was to get rid of those headers.

Michael wrote:I'm not sure about the "X-Sasl-enc" header (I don't see it in any message I have sent or received). Is it possible that it is being inserted by the mail server?

Smiling Poco User
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:34 am

it's lack of IMAP capabilities is also not that attractive to me

Good news on this front as well, the IMAP features within Poco are slated for major improvements in the next major release. This release has not even reached beta test stage yet so I don't have any idea regarding availability.

PS: I am not an employee of Poco Systems Inc.
Michael

Postby smilingpocouser » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:53 am

That's good news indeed, thanks.

Michael wrote:
it's lack of IMAP capabilities is also not that attractive to me

Good news on this front as well, the IMAP features within Poco are slated for major improvements in the next major release. This release has not even reached beta test stage yet so I don't have any idea regarding availability.

PS: I am not an employee of Poco Systems Inc.

.... nor am I!!! Thanks for the information, though.
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoScript Help and How-To