[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Which AV to use?

Which AV to use?

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: Which AV?

Postby treigel » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:55 am

Hogyt wrote:Hi Terry,
Go to the NOD32 Control Center and click on Setup in the IMON section. Then go to Miscellaneous->Setup->Actions and select Delete in the sections you want and it should work as you wish. fwiw i used NAV 2003 until a month ago when i switched to NOD32 and haven't looked back yet :)

Thanks, Mat,

I looked all over for it with no success, and even with your directions had a hard time finding it. But now I have. :lol:

Yes, we've been using NAV 2003 and have gotten tired of it's deleting messages for no apparent reason, and Symantec's inablilty to fix the problem, among other issues. That's why I've been looking for alternatives.
treigel
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:59 am

What is the considered opinion on Trend Micro PC-cillin 2003? We have a free option to use it at home as an extension of my wife's company's purchase but we use Kaspersky at the moment.

Comments anyone?
robin

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:04 am

robin wrote:What is the considered opinion on Trend Micro PC-cillin 2003? We have a free option to use it at home as an extension of my wife's company's purchase but we use Kaspersky at the moment.
Comments anyone?
You can find some interesting topics at Wilders.
I like to read about security software, so I can improve my security level. :)
Eric

Postby robin » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:25 am

Thanks Eric - I'll monitor what goes on - no need to make a decision yet since my KAV doesn't come up for renewal until next year.

Cheers
robin

Which AV to use?

Postby scottmcewan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:49 pm

If you choose to use AVG7 (curently 7.0.299) switch off outward mail scanning or you can have messages rejected. We hope AVG will soon fix.

Scott McE
scottmcewan
Drop-in Visitor

AVG &.0 Does Work!

Postby cnramsay » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:07 am

Eric wrote:
Tomas wrote:AVG from Grisoft, freeware, worked nicely for me in the past.
AVG 7.0 free edition doesn't work with Poco, if I remember correctly. The licensed version however does. :wink:
Interesting topic at Wilders Security Forum about free antivirus.

I have installed AVG 7.0 Free on 6 computers (SP2) and it works very well with Poco Mail 3.2.
cnramsay
New Arrival

Postby vamp07 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:21 am

I have use nod32 for a year and love it. I recently switched to kaspersky because nod32 does not coexist well with Google desktop search. I also have and older 16 bit app (Daytimer-Organizer) which works much faster with kaspersky.
vamp07
Frequent Visitor

Re: AVG &.0 Does Work!

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:54 am

cnramsay wrote:I have installed AVG 7.0 Free on 6 computers (SP2) and it works very well with Poco Mail 3.2.
Thanks cnramsay & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
vamp07 wrote:I also have and older 16 bit app (Daytimer-Organizer) which works much faster with kaspersky.
Enjoy Kaspersky, a top rated antivirus. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:59 pm

BTJustice wrote:NOD32 !!!
A nice antivirus indeed, but you still need an anti-trojan to have extra protection. :?
Although it's improving in that field.
It has one more VB 100 Awards than any other antivirus program which makes it #1...

Here are some of the others recommended here and a few more. AVG is one of the worst antivirus programs made...
AVG isn't a bad antivirus and certainly isn't the worst. A better free one would be the latest Avast.

A VB 100% award means that a product has passed our tests, no more and no less. The failure to attain a VB 100% award is not a declaration that a product cannot provide adequate protection in the real world if administered by a professional. We would urge any potential customer, when looking at the VB 100% record of any software, not simply to consider passes and fails, but to read the small print in the reviews.

:!: While it's an indication, VB100 is by no means a guideline to follow.
This is something I learned at Wilders to not always believe what those VB boards or tests show you.

Use what you like best and doesn't give problems on your machine. :wink:
Eric

Postby rabmail » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:25 am

BTJustice wrote:NOD32 !!!

http://www.nod32.com/

It has one more VB 100 Awards than any other antivirus program which makes it #1...

Not in the real world it does not. NOD is certainly ONE of the top AV's but to proclaim it as #1 is a bit too much. There are several very good AV's and it depends on your needs as to which one suits you the best.

We have NOD on some machines and KAV 5 on some others. With NOD you need to run some additional AT protection but with KAV we don't use any additional AT protection.

Dick
rabmail

Postby jaxgtr » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:11 am

I too have AVG 7.0 (7.0.338) on 4 computers amd it is working exceptionly well. I chose the automatic setup for email and it worked just fine. My only complaint as mentioned in a prior post was that when the system is scanning, it does not run completely in the background. I have Barca on my system and Pocomail on my wife Laptop and have had no problems with either.

I am not saying that AVG is the best, but it is working for me and with a much smaller footprint on my system that NAV.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby BTJustice » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:04 am

AVG sucks. That is why it is free. It is cheap protection for tight asses who don't want to spend money. Simple as that.
BTJustice
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:21 am

BTJustice wrote:AVG sucks.
Why? What makes you say that? Have you tried it?
It is cheap protection for tight asses who don't want to spend money. Simple as that.
You're entitled to your opinion, but let's keep it friendly on these forums please.

FWIW, I also take the view that you get what you pay for and that paid-for AV is a small price to pay compared to the disruption that results from a virus attack.
robin

Postby BTJustice » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:45 am

As a computer technician, I installed AVG on a customer's computer a couple of years ago. It found and removed some viruses but the computer still acted as if it was infected with something and wouldn't get on the Internet. I installed NOD32 and ran a scan which found and removed more viruses. Now the computer could get on the Internet so I updated NOD32 which found and removed a couple more viruses. Computer was running beautifully.

Also, NOD32 doesn't slow a computer down. Another computer I worked on needed antivirus protection and the customer had purchased Norton AntiVirus 2005. I installed it and the computer seemed like it was only half as fast as what it was before installing Norton. I told the customer to return the software. We put NOD32 on and the computer was still fast and was infected with a couple viruses which NOD32 found and removed.

The point is, as a computer technician, I have a unique perspective on antivirus software. I have tried or worked with all of them for Windows. NOD32 is the best.

Just because you use something else and it says you have no viruses doesn't mean you don't have viruses.
BTJustice
Poco Tourist

PreviousNext

Return to Email Hall