[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Which AV to use?

Which AV to use?

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:28 am

BTJustice wrote:Just because you use something else and it says you have no viruses doesn't mean you don't have viruses.
Exactly, no antivirus is 100% bulletproof. :?
Even NOD32 or KAV aren't and that's why my system is protected by other security software, like Ewido (anti-trojan), Spy Sweeper & CounterSpy (anti-spyware), RegDefend, ProcessGuard.

Saying that NOD32 is the best isn't true, there is no best.
If you really want to protect your system it's better to pay for it, although free is fine too for those who can't afford it.

FYI I use KAV, but I don't have anything against NOD32 or any other.
Only against Symantec's. :lol:
Eric

Postby jaxgtr » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:40 am

BTJustice wrote:AVG sucks. That is why it is free. It is cheap protection for tight asses who don't want to spend money. Simple as that.

For the record, I am not a tight ass, I paid for the AVG Pro.

Secondly, version comparisions is typically not a solid way to look at things. I can say things like, VB 2.0 sucks compared to VB.Net, but is that a fair comparison, I don't think so. We can only look at what the current version of the product is doing, not making statements about a product version from 2 yrs ago.

As I said before, AVG works for me and I am happy with the performance I receive. You obviously prefer another product, and good for you.

Thay my friend is what great about a free society. I have the right to pick what I feel is the best for me, and you have the right disagree.

Brian :D
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:02 am

Gentlemen, please keep it civilized.
No flaming wars please!
I would hate to lock this informative thread. :wink:
Eric

Postby jaxgtr » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:03 am

Eric wrote:Gentlemen, please keep it civilized.
No flaming wars please!

I thought I was civil. Have a good one.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Jim » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:37 am

jaxgtr wrote:
Eric wrote:Gentlemen, please keep it civilized.
No flaming wars please!

I thought I was civil. Have a good one.

Brian

Brian, I think those of us that the message is meant for know ourselves. I am no mind reader, but I doubt it was necessarily directed at you.
Jim

Postby jaxgtr » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:16 am

I know, I was just sticking up for the those of us that like free things. Nothng personal was taken.

jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:16 am

Brian, it's not directed at you or anybody else. :wink:
It's just a warning, because when talking about antivirus most people want to defend their choice.
We don't want to start a flaming war, like I've seen so many at Wilders. :evil:

Whether you use NOD32, KAV, MCAfee, BitDefender, AVG, aVast and many others .... it's all based on personal preference.
If it runs great on your system and doesn't give problems, well then that's the best. IMHO

Use whatever you like. :)
Eric

Postby TimothyS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:05 am

jaxgtr wrote:I know, I was just sticking up for the those of us that like free things. Nothng personal was taken.

jaxgtr,

You not only stood up for those who like free software - you also stood up for those with a good understanding and clear mind which BTJustice doesn't have and here is the proof.

BTJustice claims to be a "computer expert" by mentioning he is a technician. Yet, a halfway decent technicician with some experience should know that Norton slows down every machine because it is resource hungry. If you are low on MB, stay way. Yet, why did BTJustice install it onto his customer's computer? This is something he was supposed to know before without running the risk that his customer cannot return the software because the pouch had been opened. Or was everything just a story as in: Believe Or Not?

Fact is: AVG 7 is a very decent AV and offers daily updates. It depends if installed on Win 2000, XP, 98, ME, Linux, etc. but this was not mentioned; at least I didn't see it. Virusbtn makes here a big difference. It is also a common knowledge that a good e-mail client is another good protection against a virus because plain text cannot do anything - just an attachment or a script inside an HTML file are risky but script execution is mostly impossible. Other attachments can easily be filtered out based on extensions. Everything else is being caught by almost all AVs.

I am a NOD32 user but not because of its AV capabilities but based on performance. There are other official and independent tests that rank NOD32 below some free AVs.

Tim
TimothyS
Poco Tourist

Postby BTJustice » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:23 am

TimothyS wrote:BTJustice claims to be a "computer expert" by mentioning he is a technician.

Actually you are the one claiming I am an expert. All I said was I am a computer technician. There are no expert computer technicians. Only good ones and bad ones. I am glad my customers consider me a good one.

TimothyS wrote:Yet, a halyway decent technicician with some experience should know that Norton slows down every machine because it is resource hungry. If you are low on MB, stay way. Yet, why did BTJustice install it onto his customer's computer? This is something he was supposed to know before without running the risk that his customer cannot return the software because the pouch had been opened. Or was everything just a story based as in: Believe Or Not?

The foremost rule in any business is that the customer is always right. The other rule is that you do what the customer wants you to do (that tends to make money for businesses). The customer insisted I install Norton 2005 which I did. When the customer saw the speed decrease, the customer took my advice and went with NOD32. I already knew Norton would slow the computer down... DUH!

TimothyS wrote:Fact is: AVG 7 is a very decent AV and offers daily updates. It depends if installed on Win 2000, XP, 98, ME etc. but this was not mentioned; at least I didn't see it. Virusbtn makes here a big difference. It is also a common knowledge that a good e-mail client is another good protection against a virus because plain text cannot do anything - just an attachment or a script inside an HTML file are risky but script execution is mostly impossible. Other attachments can easily be filtered out based on extensions. Everything else is being caight by almost all AVs.

You mention the Virus Bulletin but you have nothing else to back up your "fact". If one simply goes to the Virus Bulletin, they will see how poorly AVG has performed on it...

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/ ... ml?avg.xml

Eset's NOD32 has greatly surpassed that...

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/ ... l?eset.xml

TimothyS wrote:I am a NOD32 user but not based on its AV capabilities but based on performance. There are other tests that rank NOD32 below some free AVs.

Well there is some hope for you, lol. What are your other tests? Links please.
BTJustice
Poco Tourist

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:45 am

Please do not complain to Poco Systems if a moderator locks this thread.
Jim

Postby robin » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:15 am

Enough, please, guys. Let's leave it there - everyone has had their say now.

Thanks
robin

Postby TimothyS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:27 am

robin wrote:Enough, please, guys. Let's leave it there - everyone has had their say now.

Thanks

OK, I follow the request even though I had a few very nice links. But you are right: enough is enough.

Tim
TimothyS
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:53 am

Using this one now, but it's still a beta.
Runs really light on my system and gives excellent protection. 8)

Eric

Previous

Return to Email Hall