[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoPE doesn't work with Symantec AV 2004 [Mod: Resolved]

PocoPE doesn't work with Symantec AV 2004 [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoPE doesn't work with Symantec AV 2004 [Mod: Resolved]

Postby Fesspoint » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:40 pm

A week or so ago I installed Symantec Antivirus 2004 Corporate Edition at work and it broke PocoMail PE. Now, whenever I try to send anything, PocoPE just chugs away forever like it can't send it, but the thing is, it has! The mail does go out, but PocoPE doesn't know it. So, anything I send never gets out of the Draft folder.

I can't change the AV settings because it's a managed installation, and I shouldn't have to anyway. People use a variety of email clients where I work (Outlook, OE, Eudora, Thunderbird) and only PocoPE has this problem. I am trying to switch to Thunderbird myself, but Poco doesn't export attachments correctly, so all those were lost when I tried to import them.

These two issues have shattered my faith in PocoMail. I've been using it pretty happily for a few years now, but this combined with the frequent, mysterious "Access Violations", lack of SSL support and the inadequate import/export functionality are making me think its time to move on.
Fesspoint
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:35 pm

Hi Fesspoint & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
Fesspoint wrote:A week or so ago I installed Symantec Antivirus 2004 Corporate Edition at work and it broke PocoMail PE. Now, whenever I try to send anything, PocoPE just chugs away forever like it can't send it, but the thing is, it has! The mail does go out, but PocoPE doesn't know it. So, anything I send never gets out of the Draft folder.
:shock: I've used NIS2004 before and I didn't experience this, although I never used the Corporate Edition.
These two issues have shattered my faith in PocoMail. I've been using it pretty happily for a few years now, but this combined with the frequent, mysterious "Access Violations", lack of SSL support and the inadequate import/export functionality are making me think its time to move on.
I don't experience frequent "Access Violations" and outgoing SSL/TLS support is right around the corner (new major version)
and it works like a charm from what I've seen. :P
As for the import/export functionality PSI is constantly improving it.

Maybe you could reverse the export to Thunderbird as explained here. It's worth a shot.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :wink:
Eric

It doesn't work with regular PocoMail either

Postby Fesspoint » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:31 am

I forgot to mention that I tried using regular PocoMail in hopes that it was just a PocoMail PE problem, but alas it was not. Regular PocoMail didn't work either. I tried it on two different machines too, so it's not like it's a fluke, specific to my computer's configuration.

Well, I've been using Thunderbird at work since I originally posted and while it's a competent email client, it's a little feature-poor compared to Poco. While I still think Poco is a bit flaky, it has so many nice features that I have come to rely on, that I guess I can't live without it.

Please look into this. As I stated earlier, I can't believe it's a problem with my computer because I tried it on more than one.
Fesspoint
Drop-in Visitor

Re: It doesn't work with regular PocoMail either

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:52 am

Fesspoint wrote:Please look into this. As I stated earlier, I can't believe it's a problem with my computer because I tried it on more than one.
That's going to be difficult, because like you posted before you installed the corporate edition and it broke PocoMail PE. :?
Something is blocking the transfer to the Sent mailbox.

It appears NAV is doing something to Poco, so the best place to start is understanding your Corporate Edition.
Take a look at Symantec's Support.

Other then that I can't help you much or maybe someone using that
can help you with it. :?
Eric

Postby Fesspoint » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:47 pm

But doesn't the fact that Poco is the only client that is affected mean anything? Outlook, OE, NetScape, Eudora, Thunderbird all work.
Fesspoint
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:42 pm

Fesspoint wrote:But doesn't the fact that Poco is the only client that is affected mean anything? Outlook, OE, NetScape, Eudora, Thunderbird all work.
I really don't know why it's happening.
It's best to hear it from someone actually using this antivirus.
Poco works on thousands of machines without a problem.

FWIW I used Poco with NIS2003 & NIS2004, Avast, Bitdefender Standard
and now Kaspersky without ever having trouble with it. :)

Sorry, but I can't help further on this. :?
Eric

Postby Fesspoint » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:49 am

Well, I got it working again, but I'd still call it broken. The problem was that I had the encrypt messages after they are sent option turned on. I turned it off and messages now send properly again.
Fesspoint
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:39 am

Fesspoint wrote:Well, I got it working again, but I'd still call it broken. The problem was that I had the encrypt messages after they are sent option turned on. I turned it off and messages now send properly again.
:?: What encrypt?
Is it something in your antivirus settings?
I've also read several negative pages while searching for a solution, explaining that NAV, NIS and especially the corporate edition break software. :?
Not every software is affected by it, but in this case it appears your antivirus is doing something not right to Poco.

Not Poco's fault, but Symantec's. IMO

Anyhow glad you found it. :)
Eric

Postby Fesspoint » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:13 pm

What encrypt?

You weren't aware that PocoMail offers the ability to "Encrypt incoming messages" and "Encrypt outgoing messages after they are sent"? No wonder it doesn't work.

I admit I was wrong in blaming my problem on Poco's incompatability with NAV 2004. It had nothing to do with NAV 2004, it was all Poco's fault.

I turned on encryption, didn't have a need to send an email for a while, installed NAV 2004 during that time, and when I did finally send an email, and it didn't work, I immediately blamed Symantec. In fact, it was the broken encryption mechanism in Poco that was causing my problem.

Let's talk about that now. Does encryption work for you?
Fesspoint
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:08 pm

Fesspoint wrote:
What encrypt?

You weren't aware that PocoMail offers the ability to "Encrypt incoming messages" and "Encrypt outgoing messages after they are sent"? No wonder it doesn't work.
:oops: No, I wasn't aware of it since I never use it.
I admit I was wrong in blaming my problem on Poco's incompatability with NAV 2004. It had nothing to do with NAV 2004, it was all Poco's fault.
It's NOT Poco's fault. Just set the encryption on outgoing messages in my account and the message went just fine.
In my Sent folder this message was present. :)
Let's talk about that now. Does encryption work for you?
Yes, as posted above it works.
FYI: I use KAV 5.0 as antivirus.

Maybe someone else can backup my findings. :wink:

PocoMail offers as part of its Privacy settings, the ability for mail to be "encrypted". You can enable mail encryption in Accounts Setup by highlighting the account you wish to encrypt incoming or outgoing mail for, then selecting Edit and then the Privacy tab.

Remember that PocoMail's mail encryption is for your benefit only, and is applied only to mail that you retain. This means that the recipient does not receive an encrypted email. Further, as the security inherent in this encryption process is based on a password that you have specified, you will not be able to read any encrypted mail (incoming or outgoing or both, as specified in setup) without the password. If you should forget or lose this password, you will not be able to read encrypted email.
Eric

Postby RBernier » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:51 am

Fesspoint wrote:But doesn't the fact that Poco is the only client that is affected mean anything? Outlook, OE, NetScape, Eudora, Thunderbird all work.

I had a similar problem with PocoMail and PocoMail PE when the company I worked for installed the Enterprise Version of McAfee. The problem turned out to be that PocoMail and PocoMail PE had to be added to the authorized applications list within McAfee. I would venture to guess that you have a similar situation with Norton.
Ron Bernier
RBernier
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:09 pm

Thanks Ron for that information. :)
Eric

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To