[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Google Desktop Search and Pocomail

Google Desktop Search and Pocomail

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Google Desktop Search and Pocomail

Postby Maximus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:31 am

Hi Slaven & Co

Is there anything planned in the direction of supporting the Google Desktop Search?

Google natively offers indexing Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird/Netscape mail. Other software vendors can provide a plugin for Google Desktop Search, e.g. Becky has already done so.

For details, see: http://desktop.google.com/plugins/c/email.html

I am aware of the discussion about Archivarius 3000. Yet, I really like the Google Desktop Search and would love to see Pocomail support of it one day or another.

Edit by robin: I've removed the duplicate thread
Maximus
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:40 pm

Eric

Postby RBernier » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:40 pm

Great link Eric. Thank you.
Ron Bernier
RBernier
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:10 am

My pleasure Ron. :wink:
Eric

Postby robin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:38 am

It's not coming anywhere near my machine. Google is becoming big business and...well, let's just say that I don't trust big business.
robin

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:00 am

robin wrote:It's not coming anywhere near my machine.
Same for me Robin. :lol: :wink:
Eric

Postby Slaven » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:44 am

robin wrote:
It's not coming anywhere near my machine. Google is becoming big business and...well, let's just say that I don't trust big business.

:)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby speerga » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:48 pm

NOTE TO SLAVEN:

Remember not to become TOO successful with Poco Mail. If you do, you run the risk of becoming -- at least by some definitions -- part of "big business." Who knows what'll happen then?? :lol:

Gary Speer

P. S. That was a lame attempt at sarcasm -- in reality, I love all the Google products I've tried; I can't seem to work up sufficient paranoia to reject Google's stuff, and I would vote IN FAVOR of asking you or someone to do a plug-in to enable Google Desktop to index my Poco Mail.
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Truth is that my paranoia should not stop Slaven from providing a product that his customers want. However it's not "big business" as such that worries me, part of the issue I have is the constantly increasing demands to know more about me, what I do, where I search or visit on the internet, track follow etc.

As Google grows it needs to find more sources of revenue - and once you've gone public then you have to because that is what the shareholders expect - growth. And in a market like their's that growth comes from selling information, and that information is about you and me and everybody else who uses the internet. And I don't feel that I want that much known about me and what I do on the internet so that I can be "targetted". [Imgine wandering around the local shops with someone following you, watching what you are looking at then constantly offering you things.] Paranoia - maybe, healthy scepticism - certainly.

There is a big public debate about the proposed identity cards for the UK. Many countries have ID cards and it is not the cards themselves that are the issue, it is the amount of private information that the scheme looks likely to want to collect and how that information will be used to provide additional "revenue" to the government agency that administers the scheme (partly to offset the enormous costs of setting up the scheme in the first place).

As far as I am concerned, Poco Systems can grow as big as it wants to - when I get worried is when PocoMail 8 looks at what is in each of my messages and my contacts and helpfully provides links to web pages that I might be interested in, records on a central server who I'm taling with (etc ect - it won't, but you get the picture).

:wink:
robin

Postby hypotaxis » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:31 pm

I have just posted this elsewhere so apologies for the cross post, but there is now a plug-in that will index PocoMail using Google Desktop for those that are willing to use it :)

It is:

Active+ Software MIME Indexer

and it indexes .eml files. It works well and it available from the preferences page of Google Desktop.
hypotaxis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:48 pm

robin wrote:As far as I am concerned, Poco Systems can grow as big as it wants to - when I get worried is when PocoMail 8 looks at what is in each of my messages and my contacts and helpfully provides links to web pages that I might be interested in, records on a central server who I'm taling with (etc ect - it won't, but you get the picture).

:wink:

Yahoo just got busted for giving the Chinese info on a reporter using it's services and now that reporter is sitting in a Chinese jail.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,12 ... _1polihead

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby bareges » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:51 am

On this topic I would personally rather use Copernic Desktop search. No real reason other than being a very satisfied user of Copernic Agent Pro for many years.

Unfortunately for email purposes Copernic only suppoerts the dreaded MS Outlook and Outlook Express..................
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Return to Email Hall