[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - new user - avast - can't send attachments

new user - avast - can't send attachments

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

new user - avast - can't send attachments

Postby dean » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:21 am

I recently removed NAV 2005 and installed avast - the free edition. One persistent problem I keep encountering is an inability to send attached messages - both pdf's and word documents. When I disable avast I can send attached messages. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dean

My internet access is DSL 300. I use Windows XP with all the latest updates. My firewall is ZoneAlarm.

~ Moved to Email Hall ... Eric ~
Dean
dean
Poco Tourist

avast - can't send attachments

Postby dean » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:16 am

I think I solved the problem. I changed the Internet Mail settings: --> Custom --> Heuristics Tab --> Sensitivity --> Low

Is this setting dangerous?
Dean
dean
Poco Tourist

Re: new user - avast - can't send attachments

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:23 am

Hi Dean,
dean wrote:I recently removed NAV 2005 and installed avast - the free edition.
How did you remove NAV2005?
Through your Control Panel to remove NAV?
Could well be a conflict with the leftovers from NAV?

:idea: Use a registry cleaner like CCleaner, RegSupreme or Ace Utilities to remove all traces from NAV.
Delete all folders with reference to NAV (=Symantec) in Program Files and Documents & Settings.
Remove all startup entries from NAV.

FYI Symantec's antivirus is really difficult to remove, because it hooks into your system.
I know because I experienced the same before. :?

See if that helps solving the conflict between Avast and the leftovers from NAV.

:!: Edit 2: Forgot to tell that after you've removed all traces you need to reboot. :oops:

Let me know how it goes. :wink:
Last edited by Eric on Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric

Re: avast - can't send attachments

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:25 am

dean wrote:I think I solved the problem. I changed the Internet Mail settings: --> Custom --> Heuristics Tab --> Sensitivity --> Low

Is this setting dangerous?
I don't think that has to be done.
Heuristics have to be set to High, because that would stop most virusses not recognized through the signatures.
See also my post above. :wink:
Eric

Postby dean » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:52 am

After removing NAV I did subsequently use registry cleaners (System Mechanic and Win XP manager). Everything is working fine now, but with the Avast Heuristics setting at ‘Low Sensitivity.’
Thanks for the ideas!
dean
Dean
dean
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:00 am

dean wrote:After removing NAV I did subsequently use registry cleaners (System Mechanic and Win XP manager).
Yes, a registry cleaner (or several) is definitely needed.

Did you perform the above, meaning removing folders, startup entries, ... with reference to NAV.
Everything is working fine now, but with the Avast Heuristics setting at ‘Low Sensitivity.’
Shouldn't be necessary to set it at Low Sensitivity, but you can always ask about it or look it up at the Avast forum. :)
Thanks for the ideas!
My pleasure Dean. :wink:
Eric

Return to Email Hall