[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Attachments not deleted when trash is emptied

Attachments not deleted when trash is emptied

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Attachments not deleted when trash is emptied

Postby gert » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:25 pm

As per the subject.
When I empty the trash can, attachments are not deleted. I don't have attachments 'encoded' in the messages. Hope this will be fixed with the new beta.

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:32 pm

What makes you think this is a problem in Poco? More likely it's the options you have or have not set -- or perhaps the way you are using Poco. Poco has deleted striped attachments as I put msgs in the trash for several years now.
Sandy

Postby Tomas » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:55 pm

If no attachments are getting deleted at all, than I would agree with Sandy.

However if there if you have a problem with only some attachments not getting deleted, than I have the same one, though it happens quite rarely. I can't track the reasons reliably so have not reported it yet.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:51 am

Yes, it is certainly possible in some instance or other for attachments to remain in the folder one strips attachments to AFTER deleting all mail from the trash. I too I believe I see this on occasion, but like Tomas I have no way to say for sure or to repeat it.

I figure it could happen (if it happens) because of some unusual set of events probably involving spam. The point is: are you seeing LOTS of attachments remaining or just this occasional mystery? BTW, if there is the rare "left over attachment", one can simply delete all files from the attachment folder occasionally.
Sandy

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:41 am

Hi Gert,

To be specific, I believe that it will only work if you enable "Options > Reading Mail > Query to delete attachments".
Pete

Postby gert » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:58 am

I have that option enabled (Query to delete). But maybe I found something else related to this.

I just received an infected email, automatically treated by ZoneAlarms anti virus (ZoneAlarm Security Suite). Those messages normally all arrived in my inbox, but some time ago I created a filter:

On all accounts
Search "Message Headers"
For text "ZoneAlarm Security Suite InfectionReport"
Then "move to trash"
and "stop processing this message".

Some time ago I created a small program that cleans up my attachment folder (all files in "Attach" that are not referenced from any email msg are moved to C:\PocoOrphans).
When I run this program, it always has to move files with names like "ZoneAlarm Security Suite InfectionReport.txt",

So, perhaps Poco does something different, when it moves a message to trash because of a rule...

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:57 am

You might do some research with headers for the msgs involved. Poco connects a msg to an attachment via a header (X-Attachment, or something like that). If ZA renames those files and the header still has the original name in it, Poco won't be able to find the attachment specified in the headers to delete it or anything else.

So, perhaps Poco does something different, when it moves a message to trash because of a rule...

Perhaps so, but in this case, you may be telling Poco to treat it differently since you are issuing the command: "Stop Processing"
Sandy

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:41 am

gert wrote:So, perhaps Poco does something different, when it moves a message to trash because of a rule...

If you can verify this, then you can probably solve this by using two actions in your filter: (1) delete all of the message's attachments and then (2) move it to the Trash mailbox.

For (1), I posted a script in the previous forums that would do this. (We don't yet have access to the previous forums, though.)

Alternatively, this might be something that PSI would want to fix, if it is indeed broken.
Pete

Postby gert » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:29 pm

Sandy wrote:Perhaps so, but in this case, you may be telling Poco to treat it differently since you are issuing the command: "Stop Processing"

I just read the help again, Poco automatically stops processing the message when it is moved. So my "stop processing" should be a "no action" in this case. I will remove it (as it does not have a purpose anyway) to see if it helps.
Sandy wrote:You might do some research with headers for the msgs involved.

They look fine to me, here is an example:
Code: Select all
Message-Id: <200407262050.i6QKorH13863@ds50.dotserv.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:50:53 -0500
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-eworm.info-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information
X-eworm.info-MailScanner: Not scanned: please contact your Internet E-Mail Service Provider for details
X-MailScanner-From: someone@somewhere.com
X-UIDL: $")#!fU?!!eW0"!7((#!
X-ISafe-Status: V
Delivery-Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 05:13:17
X-Poco-Attachment: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\PocoMail3\Attach\ZoneAlarm Security Suite InfectionReport12.txt
Subject: Re: A!p$ghsa
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Poco-UID: 83614595
X-Poco-Status: U
X-Account: incoming

Pete wrote:If you can verify this, then you can probably solve this by using two actions in your filter: (1) delete all of the message's attachments and then (2) move it to the Trash mailbox.

I do not feel comfortable about automatically deleting all attachments, you never know what important attachment gets deleted.

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:45 pm

gert wrote:X-Poco-Attachment: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\PocoMail3\Attach\ZoneAlarm Security Suite InfectionReport12.txt

Is this the folder that you specify in Pocomail's options for PocoMail's "Attach" folder. If not, then that might be the problem.

Another thought: There are 109 characters in the path\filename of the attachment. Although Windows supports up to 255 characters, it's possible that PocoMail does not. I suspect that most people keep their attachment folder at C:\Program Files\PocoMail3\Attach and so you might have discovered a problem that is unique to your setup. Obviously I'm just guessing.

gert wrote:I do not feel comfortable about automatically deleting all attachments, you never know what important attachment gets deleted.

I understand if you don't want to pursue the script solution. If you do, however, the script could be easily changed to always prompt you before it deletes the message's attachments before the filter moves the message to Trash.
Pete

Postby gert » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:57 pm

Pete wrote:
gert wrote:X-Poco-Attachment: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\PocoMail3\Attach\ZoneAlarm Security Suite InfectionReport12.txt

Is this the folder that you specify in Pocomail's options for PocoMail's "Attach" folder. If not, then that might be the problem.

Yes, I have Poco installed in my Shared Documents folder (I do not run with Administrator privs, so writing inside Program Files is a problem).

Pete wrote:I understand if you don't want to pursue the script solution. If you do, however, the script could be easily changed to always prompt you before it deletes the message's attachments before the filter moves the message to Trash.

I have used your script in the past (worked great, thanks) for my junk mail. The current version of Poco does not seem to have the attachment problem with junk mail anymore, so I stopped using your script.

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:58 pm

Gert, I just noticed that you're browsing this forum while I was editing my post. If you haven't already seen it, please read the part of my post that I added that starts with "Another thought:".
Pete

Postby gert » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:00 pm

Don't think that is the problem (but I could be wrong), as Poco does not have any other problems with attachments inside that folder.

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:09 pm

The filename in this case ("ZoneAlarm Security Suite InfectionReport12.txt") is 46 characters without even counting the number of characters in the path before the filename. To me, that seems like an unusually long filename.

If you want, one way to test it would be to send yourself a message with two attachments. One attachment could have a short filename (e.g. five characters) and another could have a long filename (>= 46 characters). I wonder how PocoMail would handle that.
Pete

Postby gert » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:16 pm

good idea. I will try that this evening.
By the way, this problem is not only with those "zone alarm" files, but also with "att0.txt" files...

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To