[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - SPAM and JunkMail filtering

SPAM and JunkMail filtering

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

SPAM and JunkMail filtering

Postby saoir » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:03 am

Please forgive me if this has already been dealt with. I don't visit very often anymore mainly because Pocomail works so well and so smoothly :D

My Junk Mail filter works brilliantly.

However I have, like most people, to review the mailbox every week or so to just make 'sure' that nothing has been caught in it. 99% of it is clear junk, with one or two slipping in from time to time.

Is there a way of designating specific domains not JUST as Spam and hence filtered into the Spam mailbox.... but designating the domain as DEFINITE Spam and have it transferred automatically to the bin ? this might reduce the size of the Spam mailbox considerably... with confidence.... as it would be based on specific domains.

I seem to recall being advised previously not to use incoming filters alongside the Spam Filter.....

~ Moved to Junk Mail Filtering ... Eric ~
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:50 am

:idea: Why not create a Pre-Download filter to automatically delete banned senders (Banned senders <%junksenders%>).
No need to trash it, because it will be removed from the server before download.

See if that helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby SFCurley » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:08 pm

I do essentially what Eric has suggested and it does work very well. I also use many other filters in addition to PM's Bayesian filter, and everything works very well.

I think the admonishment about not using other filters w/ PM's built-ins is for those who might not take the time to understand the interplay and overlap between the many options. With more power and flexibility can come more confusion, especially for the non-technically inclined.
SFCurley

Postby tribble » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:27 pm

Eric, how, precisely do I do that?
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:39 pm

tribble wrote:Eric, how, precisely do I do that?

:D
Eric

Postby tribble » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:08 am

Eric,

Thank you! I'm curious though, why doesn't Poco/Barca use this list automatically when the message is downloaded?
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:27 am

tribble wrote:Eric,

Thank you! I'm curious though, why doesn't Poco/Barca use this list automatically when the message is downloaded?
You're welcome tribble. :wink:
Don't have a clue why it's not built-in. :roll:
Eric

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:50 am

tribble wrote:Eric,

Poco does use this list when the messages are downloaded if you are running the non-standard Bayesian filters.

As to the question of why this filter is not automatically included in the Poco setup, some users might not be cautious enough with the entries they make in this file, this could lead to messages being lost. For example, tribble suggested using constructs like ".al" or ".ru" in this file, if this were done then messages from "Rutgers University" (user@rutgers.edu) might be lost when the intent was to delete all messages from the ".ru" subdomain.
Michael

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To