[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Off Topic, but may help you, disabling MS Firewall in SP2

Off Topic, but may help you, disabling MS Firewall in SP2

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Off Topic, but may help you, disabling MS Firewall in SP2

Postby lumpy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:30 am

I downloaded and installed the network version from the MSoft site.
I have a very good firewall so I wanted to disable Microsoft's version.

The Microsoft Firewall can be disabled, however there are a few settings you need to disable.

The first time you start into windows after you install SP2, there will popup a window on the subject of security.
There are 3 options for you, firewall, antivirus and 1 other (I can't recall what it is at this moment).
This window has also an icon in the system tray.

Along the bottom are 3 options covering those items.
Select the Firewall and disable.

Then go into Start / control Panel/ Microsoft Firewall.

There are tabs along the top. Go into each one and disable all items.

That's it.
Best Regards
Lumpy
lumpy
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:53 am

Hi Lumpy
I moved this topic to Email Hall. A better place for discussions about firewalls. :wink:
Eric

Re: Off Topic, but may help you, disabling MS Firewall in SP

Postby Kaigan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:07 am

lumpy wrote:The first time you start into windows after you install SP2, there will popup a window on the subject of security.
There are 3 options for you, firewall, antivirus and 1 other (I can't recall what it is at this moment).
This window has also an icon in the system tray.

Along the bottom are 3 options covering those items.
Select the Firewall and disable.

Then go into Start / control Panel/ Microsoft Firewall.

There are tabs along the top. Go into each one and disable all items.

I downloaded and installed SP2 as well. Disabling the firewall, after clicking on the link at the bottom of the "Security Center" and disabling the firewall, the firewall section of the security center had a recommendations button. Clicking on that button you then put a checkmark in monitoring own firewall and it changes the firewall part of the security center to not monitored.
Going to the control center and turning everything off on the firewall is not really needed, but safe as you just you never know with Microsoft. :?

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby nippa » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:49 am

Since putting on SP2 this afternoon PocoMail has hung twice.
I can't put my finger on the exact process that's causing the problem but I'd be interested to hear if others are having a similar experience.

Talking of the firewall.....
The new window's firewall appears to be switched off automatically by Sygate's version and later while testing other firewalls didn't work at all well with Zone Alarm version 5 ( version 5.1 has other problems with files such as those encoded by Yenc )

Disk Burning software needed updating in order to work and I've seen problems with the News Rover Newsreader because of a missing dll - msjet35.dll.

All in all , I'm not impressed with this XP upgrade. Next time I'll wait and let others take the pain.
nippa
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:25 pm

nippa wrote:Next time I'll wait and let others take the pain.
:roll: That's the best thing you can do, until all the bugs are fixed.
Take a look here.
Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:34 am

MS info on programs that have known issues: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... ndowsxpsp2
Eric

Return to Email Hall