[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - BATCH MAILING

BATCH MAILING

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

BATCH MAILING

Postby nomis1934 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:04 am

Because there is so much spam out there, IP's are limiting the mail to about 200 per hour unless you are a major user and pay a stiff price per month for the service. We do have occasions that a mailing would go out that was around 600-800 addresses.

I have been told that there may be software that could be purchased for BATCH MAILINGS, and if so, could it be tied into POCO?

Anyone out there in POCO land know of this?
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:38 am

Since Poco is not programmable in the M$ sense - I doubt that any products on the market will tie in with Poco. But since the restriction is by your ISP, then how would using batch mailing software actually help you?
robin

BATCH MAILING

Postby nomis1934 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:24 am

Software that would release say 150 pieces an hour automatically to keep under the 200 limit per hour that some ISP's have preset. So If I mailed 500 pieces to my clients, they would automatically be dispersed in a preset count.

I assume in an effort to cut down on the spamming, automatic equipment has been designed control everyone's mailing of bulk material.

Much of my addresses in POCO have been "batched" in lots of 25 or so. With POCO that is a very slow procedure to set up because it is a drag and drop system. Have to used that method otherwise I would have to correct, change or delete in both the main file and the batched file.
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:57 pm

A script might be able to help with this. You can certainly program delays into sending messages but i have not done this in the order of hours. I'm not sure what the impacts of this on the check mail process would be. Perhaps a script fired on the OnTimer event would do the trick here.
Michael

Postby jaxgtr » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:37 pm

You might look into a list server setup. I have seen free ones before. You can upload all your addresses and let it do the heavy lifting.

MajorDomo is a pretty good freeware item.

http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

BATCH MAILING

Postby nomis1934 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:42 am

I want to thank everyone in their efforts to solve the problem. POCO is one of my best programs, very little if no problems. It is a pleasure to work and look forward to the next version.

The only suggestion at this point that I have is to improve the way POCO make groups. Rather than dragging and dropping, a copy method that would update the addresses in the groups when the main is modified. This would solve my problem as a small business and overcome the limitations of e-mailng that is placed on us by our ISP's to prevent spam.
Laurence (Laurie) Simon
nomis1934
Poco Tourist

Return to Email Hall