[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Kaspersky ate my mail!

Kaspersky ate my mail!

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Kaspersky ate my mail!

Postby s_brook » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:59 am

I have for years used eTrust ezAntivirus and it's predecessor - Innoculate IT ... both of which worked perfectly.

Because of a screwup at CA with my renewal, I couldn't run it any more and I couldn't prove that I was entitled to it!

So ... I tried Kaspersky ... I've run full kaspersky scans on my system before and nothing was found. Last night, I was moving some mails from one mailbox to another and Kaspersky decided that there was a virus laden attachment.

It locked the files causing Poco to crap out. This meant that all I had in the destination mailbox was headers only, and the mail was gone from the souce mailbox. And NOTHING except the attachments was in the quarantine.

The GOOD thing was that I had a backup and so reintegrated the files, but any new mail would have been gone if I'd moved anything newer.

I really do not like AV programs that do more than notify me that there's a problem ... stealing the rug out from under Poco was really not nice. This was a common problem with NAV and McAffee.

BUT why suddenly detect a virus when you've scanned the system before Mr Kaspersky in really old attachments that etrust has also scanned before?

I was near the end of my Kaspersky trial. Something tells me that I won't be chosing Kaspersky and that I will pursue CA to see if they can straighten out my license issue and return to eTrust.

Otherwise I'll try AVG methinks.
s_brook
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Kaspersky ate my mail!

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:19 am

s_brook wrote:I have for years used eTrust ezAntivirus and it's predecessor - Innoculate IT ... both of which worked perfectly.

Because of a screwup at CA with my renewal, I couldn't run it any more and I couldn't prove that I was entitled to it!
That's really strange. Pity you couldn't use it anymore. :?
So ... I tried Kaspersky ... I've run full kaspersky scans on my system before and nothing was found. Last night, I was moving some mails from one mailbox to another and Kaspersky decided that there was a virus laden attachment.
It's not because Kaspersky scans your system, that it's virus free.
FYI Kaspersky updates its signatures every hour, if available.
Probably something was detected with these new signatures.
Could well have been a false positive! :?
It locked the files causing Poco to crap out. This meant that all I had in the destination mailbox was headers only, and the mail was gone from the souce mailbox. And NOTHING except the attachments was in the quarantine.
:!: You can control KAV to ask you what to do with the email, when something has been found.
Configure it to prompt you when it finds something.
Configure Real-Time Protection > Block Access and prompt user for action.

I really do not like AV programs that do more than notify me that there's a problem ... stealing the rug out from under Poco was really not nice. This was a common problem with NAV and McAffee.
See setting above, it should not happen when configured properly.
BUT why suddenly detect a virus when you've scanned the system before Mr Kaspersky in really old attachments that etrust has also scanned before?
Kaspersky has a very high detection rate.
See Av Comparatives for more info about it.
Or have a look at other anti-virus software at Wilders. :)

Hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby s_brook » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:26 am

Well, I took one more stab at CA ... and after being on hold to somewhere in India for 20 minutes ... I finally got someone to do something about the problem and fixed it. Now eTrust ezav works works again! Hooray!

This event shows that there is an advantage to the Pegasus 1 mail - 1 file style of mail storage. I shudder to think what would have happened with the Calypso ... 1 file only system!

Scary.

Oh well there we go.
s_brook
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Email Hall