[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - auto bouncing?

auto bouncing?

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

auto bouncing?

Postby mrQQ » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:54 am

hello,

i think i've seen this somewhere, but i just cant find it again. does anyone have a filter which would automatically send a bounce message to spammer? (or use some other method to inform them that this box is dead)?

(or perhaps this isnt effective anymore?)

mrQQ
Frequent Visitor

Re: auto bouncing?

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:00 am

mrQQ wrote:i think i've seen this somewhere, but i just cant find it again. does anyone have a filter which would automatically send a bounce message to spammer? (or use some other method to inform them that this box is dead)?

(or perhaps this isnt effective anymore?)
As most email addresses are spoofed, it wouldn't do any good to Bounce messages.
Instead of bouncing the message back to the spammer, which you think it will do, you'll spam a real person instead. :?

That's why the Bounce function in MailWasher & others isn't any good.
Better delete the message. IMO

Just my 0.2 eurocent. :wink:
Eric

Re: auto bouncing?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:17 pm

Eric wrote:As most email addresses are spoofed, it wouldn't do any good to Bounce messages.

Actually, I wrote my own Bounce script. Of course, it wouldn't fool somebody carefully analyzing the Received lines but it's good enough for a purpose. I receive not only bulk spam but an occasional unsolicited e-mail ad from actually existing companies with real sender addresses as well. In those cases, a fake "user by that name doesn't exist" bounce message can help a lot...

Bye,
Gábor

Postby djgtram » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:25 pm

I forgot to log in, so I couldn't just edit the previous message and add the script...

So, here it is:

Code: Select all
{### Reply with a fake bounce message to divert spammers

ReadHeader $Addressee "To:" %message
ReadHeader $Email "From:" %message
CreateMessage %Out
SetHeader %Out "To:" $Email

InputBox $Addressee "Which mailbox was it addressed to?%var%" "myname@myaddress1.com|myname@myaddress2.com"
Set $NewAddress $Addressee
SubStrings $NewAddress "myname@"
AddStrings $NewFrom "MAILER-DAEMON@mail." $NewAddress
SetHeader %Out "From:" $NewFrom

SetHeader %Out "Reply-To:" "nonexistent_address"
SetHeader %Out "Subject:" "failure notice"

ReadBody $Body %message
ReadAllHeaders $Headers %message
AddStrings $NewServer "Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail." $NewAddress "."
AppendBody $NewBody $NewServer
AppendBody $NewBody "I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses."
AppendBody $NewBody "This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out."
AppendBody $NewBody ""
AddStrings $NewEmail "<" $Addressee ">:"
AppendBody $NewBody $NewEmail
AppendBody $NewBody "Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)"
AppendBody $NewBody ""
AppendBody $NewBody "--- Below this line is a copy of the message."
AppendBody $NewBody ""
AppendBody $NewBody $Headers
AppendBody $NewBody $Body
AssignBody %Out $NewBody

AppendToFile True
SaveMessage %Out "Out.mbx"

Make sure you replace the myname and myaddress strings with your own. I needed the selection because I have more than one address to monitor but it can be removed if only one is required.

The fake bounce message will be placed into the Out queue and ready for sending. It's not sent automatically.

Bye,
Gábor
djgtram
Resident Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:53 am

I do something similar without a script. I have a filter that lets pass anyone who is in my address book or on my whitelist or which doesn't look like junk to the PM bayesian filter. If the message flunks all those tests, I use the filters to create a new message, sent from a "postmaster" address that says:

*** YOUR MESSAGE TO myname <myemailaddress> WAS NOT DELIVERED ***

FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO REACH myname BY EMAIL, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION.

In order to reduce the amount of junk mail I receive, my email program only accepts messages from senders who are in my address book. Since your current email address isn't, your message was not delivered. In order for your email message to be delivered,

YOU WILL NEED TO RE-SEND YOUR MESSAGE WITH THE WORD "NOTSPAM" ANYWHERE IN THE SUBJECT LINE.

This lets my mail filter know that a "real person" is trying to send me a message, and will allow your message to bypass my filter. Once I receive your re-sent message, I will add your name and email address to my list of known senders so you don't receive this message again.

Thank you,

myname

> ----------Original Message----------
> From: %SENDER% <%FROM%>
> Sent: %SENT%
> Subject: %SENT%

> %BODY%

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To