[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Check email against DNSBLs (DNS blacklists)

Check email against DNSBLs (DNS blacklists)

Scripting questions and ideas

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Postby Hogyt » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:54 am

I think ideally it should check all the received headers but for time reasons (the checks are slow) only one address is checked. When i wrote the script i looked at how SpamAssassin was doing it and it appeared to be how i've implemented it (i guess they skip 127.0.0.1 though!). Perhaps, given that only one ip address is checked, the last received one is better to check because a spammy server can easily forge the earlier received headers.

What the script could do with is a whitelist to skip certain ip's (cached results would be nice too!) but alas i don't use it any more nor have the time to update it. Anyone else is welcome to do whatever you like with it though! :-)
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby mrQQ » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:38 am

well to fake them you need modified mail server - i dont think many spammers use it.

since mail travels across numerous mail servers, the received headers go like this:

hopX
hop5
hop4
hop3
hop2
hop1

where hop1 is the very first mail server used to send mail, and hopX is the very last mail server used to deliver mail to my imbox. so knowing that you just *have* to check hop1, as only that is real senders IP adress - everything else is just intermediate addresses.. so now the question rises - is it possible to get specific instanse of header in Poco? =/
mrQQ
Frequent Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:25 am

I did a manual check of my last 10 received spams and every one would have failed to be detected had hop 1 been checked but if you really want to do it that way then have a look at the occurrences of the #Line variable. It iterates through the Received headers and it should be relatively simple to set it to start at the end and work backwards instead (look at the Set, Inc and If lines).
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby mrQQ » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:01 am

for some reason if i add MessageBox after GetLine $current #line $received, i only get one message on all mails, no matter how many Received headers do they have?:/

and really, then how come on all my mails hopX contains my own mailserver? *puzzled*
mrQQ
Frequent Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:09 am

If the line displayed has an IP address then it won't look at any more lines so won't display any more. At least i think that's how it works, it's been so long since i wrote it... :wink:

I guess different mailservers must handle it differently. When i look at my old university emails they are like you describe but other accounts aren't like that. What the script needs is some way of skipping these headers and moving onto the next one, so that it gets the last received header that isn't put there by your mailserver (which can't then be forged). I'm not sure how easy that is to implement though :?
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby SFCurley » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:24 am

Mat,

Just curious on why you don't use your script anymore?

Thanks,

Sean
SFCurley

Postby Hogyt » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:56 am

Hi Sean,

It's not because i'm not happy with the script, it's purely because i've been using SpamFu Proxy and now Spamihilator and they have such tests built-in (or available as plug-ins) as well as other useful tests.

I was hoping the new PocoMail would have DNSBL testing built-in, along with Razor/Pyzor/DCC testing, but hopefully in the future it will :)
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby SFCurley » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:18 am

Makes sense. Thanks for your reply.
SFCurley

Postby FieldDir121 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:14 am

mrQQ,

then how come on all my mails hopX contains my own mailserver?

Perhaps your mail server is not the direct recipient. If a server receives the message and forwards it to the server you retrieve it from that would put the same address as the most recent IP address.

If that is consistent you may need to use the second most recent IP address. I recently posted a script that would get the most recent. Getting the second most recent could be accomplished by repeating the loop a second time, deleting or overwriting the first result.

You can find that here.

Scott
Last edited by FieldDir121 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:34 pm

Hi Scott,
FieldDir121 wrote:(advice on how to post quotes appreciated)
You need to enable BBCode in your profile.
(advice on how to post url's, especially by assigning them to a single word appreciated)
Put it between the URL tags.
ex. [url=*ttp://pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=27]here[/url]

:!: Replace * with h.

gives here

Hope that helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby FieldDir121 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:05 am

Eric,

It did.

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby Blyth » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:26 pm

Hate to promote an old thread but I wanted to say a big thanks to Hogyt for this awsome script and .exe file. It works and it works brilliantly!

May your beer glass always be full and icy cold! Nice work!
Blyth
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Fueler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:03 pm

I see that this thread died in 06.
Is this script still a viable thing to do?
Thanks
Fueler
Frequent Visitor

Postby tribble » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:01 am

Yes, I still use it...
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby belainex » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:24 pm

How do you fix ps3 internet because everytime i log into network it says problem with DNS? It started like 3 days ago when i logged in and it said "problem with DNS" and like 8093524c error or sum thing. The way i get around it is turning modem and ps3 off and on like 100000000 times....it is a nuisance....how do i fix it plz help....
Last edited by belainex on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
belainex
New Arrival

PreviousNext

Return to PocoScript Help and How-To