[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco message search speed

Poco message search speed

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby snave » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:36 am

Does anyone know if there are any plans to improve the message search function in terms of speed? It is so miserably slow that I usually give up and this is a 3.4 Ghz machine. Poco must be 100 times slower than Eudora and maybe 1000 times slower than Courier. I love Poco and hate to give it up but that one problem may do the trick. Here's hoping for an improvement soon.
snave
Drop-in Visitor

search speed

Postby karlz » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:20 am

Here is another request for search speed and better search capabilities in general. I am evaluating Barca and I am impressed though search speed and search capabilities needs to be improved before I can finally switch to Barca.

karl
karlz
New Arrival

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:40 am

Improving the speed and general functioning of the search function is important to us. However, unlike a bug it is not something that can simply be fixed. Search is invariably linked to the whole data architecture. Our applications have become more complex as our client base- and invariably their needs/demands- expands. Making a giant leap on this front is a major undertaken. We have planned it, and are working on it.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim

Postby dribnus » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:40 am

I agree with the search speed issue, and some of the search functionality, but what I have found is, if I can narrow the search to a particular part of the email (ie message body, subject, etc....) It's faster than searching 'entire message' in most cases
Just some help until it's improved, if it's possible to improve it.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby karlz » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:10 am

Thanks for the info,

I understand that handling large volumes of email is anything but simple, if you can solve it I am sure it will move Barca a few steps forward. To give you an idea, I have about 14000 mails in my Mail folder, they are spread accross several mail boxes (folders), most of them are small, 10 - 200 messages, though there a few with 1000 - 2000 emails in a single mail box, unfortunalety, this large mail boxes are the ones I most often use, I regulary have to search this mail boxes for one or more keywords.
karlz
New Arrival

Postby gert » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:08 am

I also search some of my mailboxes very often. Besides the lack of speed, another thing that annoys me is that the search combo-box doesn't remember previous searches.
I wonder why it is a combo box...

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby snave » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:26 am

Thanks for the info on some potential search speed improvement in the future.
Unfortunately, I'll have to bail out until that time since I use the search function a lot and don't have the time (or maybe patience) to wait for most Poco searches.
I did some comparative search tests and found that Eudora (which I no longer use for other good reasons) searches are roughly 2,667 times faster per message than Poco for the 4 word phrase "listen to the tape."
Poco took 6 minutes, 10 sec to search 2,996 messages in all mailboxes and found two hits.
Eudora took 2+ seconds to search 43,196 messages in all mailboxes and come up with two hits.

I'm not plugging any other email clients since they all have their warts but since I use the search function a lot, such a tremendous disparity in search speed is more than I can abide.

Just one user's opinion. I'll be checking back in the future to find out how it's going because I really do like Poco. It has a lot of good features, both user and safety. It's a shame that only one feature is the make or break difference for this user. Makes me wish I didn't have to search so much.
snave
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:44 pm

There are a number of enhancement requests pending that relate to searching:

There are others requests pending as well, I thought I'd just highlight some of them to reinforce the case that this is an area needing attention.
Michael

Postby Martin Meier » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:20 am

Hi,

Its nearly 12 months since this issue was first flagged.

Is there any news on the development front?

Martin
Martin Meier
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Poco message search speed

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:53 am

Hi Martin & welcome to Poco Forums,
Martin Meier wrote:Its nearly 12 months since this issue was first flagged.
Is there any news on the development front?
Yes, definitely very positive news. :)
At the moment Poco/Barca are in Open Beta stage, so soon a major upgrade will be released.
The Search has indeed improved a lot. :P
See this topic for more information about the improvements.

Just have a little patience for the release. :wink:
Eric

Postby Martin Meier » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 am

Eric,

Thanks - and also for the link to info on other improvements. Improved Contact Managemet sounds good.

However, its only the search function that leaves me so frustrated - will the #4 Version allow selection of mail boxes to search?

Martin
Martin Meier
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Poco message search speed

Postby Slaven » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:26 am

Martin Meier wrote:Eric,

Thanks - and also for the link to info on other improvements. Improved Contact Managemet sounds good.

However, its only the search function that leaves me so frustrated - will the #4 Version allow selection of mail boxes to search?

Martin

Not out of the gate, but the search is so much quicker that you can search some 10,000 messages within a second or two. It has the same ability to search a single mailbox, a mailbox branch or all mailboxes. In addition, now it can search contacts as well, and Barca-specific data types.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby snave » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:58 am

Ah, the search speed improvement is great news. As you can see, I've been checking back from time to time since I initiated this thread last year. I do love Poco and I'll be looking forward to trying out the new search functions. Thanks! :D
snave
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Martin Meier » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:28 am

Like to give credit where due - couldn't believe the improvement in version 2.

If I needed to search all mailboxes before, it used to be time to have a coffee break.

First search with new program zipped through, and flagged that it had searched 22,229 items in 23 seconds, and worked out for me it was 903 ites per second.

Well done everybody.
Martin Meier
Drop-in Visitor

Searching with "received after"

Postby Strinu » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:13 am

Hi everybody,

I encountered a problem with searching:
When I use search over "received after" and a specific period of time, lets say "3 month", PocoMail is searching in all of the emails, not as I expected in just the one's I received within the last 3 month. The results were correct. But it took far to long to get the results.

By the way... I love Poco but with this search functionality I can't convice my boss to switch to poco in the office... what a shame!
Strinu
New Arrival

Next

Return to General Discussion