[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Filtering entire blocks of addresses

Filtering entire blocks of addresses

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Permission based

Postby peritek » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:23 pm

I asked the makers of barca and pocomail some time ago for a permission based system; instead of a filter based system; as I was getting so much spam and they lectured me about how their bayesian filters are 99% effective if I train it properly and how I could use another software to do the filtering if I wanted.

A short sighted and somewhat unrealistic reply.

At the moment, Bayesian filters are a total waste of time in the real world and I rely soley on ChoiceMail, a permission based system that has a 100% success rate without any training. I have NO TIME to train anything.

People have to fill in a response form to send me mail and I get 3 classes of returns.

1. People who are annoyed at this system and refuse to send me any further mail. Problem solved:):)
2. Mail robots that cannot get around it and are autobanned.
3. Humans who want to talk to me and manually fill in the permission form.

Of course, someone will find a way around this eventually but for now, it's blessed email peace around here.
peritek
Poco Tourist

Re: Permission based

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:03 am

peritek wrote:At the moment, Bayesian filters are a total waste of time in the real world and I rely soley on ChoiceMail, a permission based system that has a 100% success rate without any training. I have NO TIME to train anything.
I know that one, but it's not realistic too.
While it may work like a charm for an individual, it won't do at my work.
We receive more then a hundred emails a day, whether asking information or ordering products. :)
We need to respond ASAP to their questions, so using this won't do at all.

Of course we do need to weed SPAM every day in our mailboxes, but the Bayesian filter does do a good job too.

If we would apply your system, it would mean losing a lot of customers, because they don't want to take the trouble to fill in that form. :?

:!: Besides you could even apply your system from within Poco, without using ChoiceMail. It's still the same principle.
If not found in your address book, automatically send a pre-made template, so they can reply with a password and as such they'll get added to your address book.

I still prefer to use a Bayesian filter, because it doesn't annoy people, nor does it let me miss my numerous newsletters, as well as legitimate emails.

This is entirely my choice, as it is yours to use another app.

Just my 0.2 eurocent. :wink:
Eric

All Good points

Postby peritek » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:56 am

I've never considered the impact on a business as you mentioned, yet I've heard from many large concerns that a permission based system (annoying or not) was the only thing that saved them. Bayesian didn't cope in their world of 'hundreds of emails a day. I used to get hundreds of emails a day (not business) and bayesian didn't cope here either.

I'll settle for them being annoyed:):)
peritek
Poco Tourist

Previous

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To