[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Using "Banned Subject"

Using "Banned Subject"

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Using "Banned Subject"

Postby dribnus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:08 pm

I have finally started using the extra filters to help out the Bayesian Filters. However; here's my problem. I have "starbucks" (w/o "") in the JunkSubject.txt file. If I receive an email that has just "ck" in the subject line, it filters it out to trash. I know it's the "starbucks" that does it, b/c if I take out the "ck", it doesn't send the email to trash.
Is there a way to make it only filter out the subject line if it matches exactly or at least has the complete text that's listed in the filter file?
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby dribnus » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:44 pm

Can anybody help me with this? I may not have explained enough, if not, please let me know so I can explain further.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Using "Banned Subject"

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:00 pm

:oops: Must have missed this topic, so thanks for the bump.
dribnus wrote:Is there a way to make it only filter out the subject line if it matches exactly or at least has the complete text that's listed in the filter file?
Maybe I don't understand it completely what you're trying to accomplish, but if you do receive a lot of those subjects I would consider creating a pre-download filter.

Why does it filter on 'ck' if only 'starbucks' is inserted into JunkSubject.txt file? :roll:

Maybe explaining it a bit more in detail can help. :wink:
Eric

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:11 am

Thanx for the reply Eric. I'm actually talking about the pre-download filter. I'm using the one for "Banned Subject", and it's running in the pre-downloads.
I'm trying to set up some that I can not worry about having to check to sef if something good has slipped thru. So, I tested it by running it the filter on my 'good' inbox to make sure that it wouldn't have caught anything that's in there. I just happened to get a short note from someone about a check they owed me, and the just put 'ck' in the subject line. I can't figure out why that filter in particular was triggered just from the 'ch' by the word "starbucks" that I have listed in the filter. I know that's the word that did it, because I when I removed it, the filter did not get triggered on the 2nd test.
Of course, if this was all that was wrong, I would just move that word and move on. BUT, I would like to know why it behaves that way, so I can make sure my pre-download filters aren't going to do that for other situations as well.

Postby dribnus » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 am

Ooops.... obviously, that was my post....Sorry. :oops:
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 am

dribnus wrote:Thanx for the reply Eric. I'm actually talking about the pre-download filter. I'm using the one for "Banned Subject", and it's running in the pre-downloads.
You're welcome dribnus. :wink:

:!: A pre-download filter which uses 'Banned Subject'?
I know about the option to use %junksenders%, but that's about banned senders.
Edit: Ok, that's something I wasn't aware off. :?
See link below.

However I performed a test by inserting 'starbucks' into Banned Subjects text file and run an Apply and Test through the Junkmail filter.

So this message does get filtered as Junk. :)
See also here for more information and here.

Edit: Redid the test with %junksubjects% and applied manually the pre-download filter.
It didn't do anything at all. :roll:

I'm trying to set up some that I can not worry about having to check to sef if something good has slipped thru. So, I tested it by running it the filter on my 'good' inbox to make sure that it wouldn't have caught anything that's in there. I just happened to get a short note from someone about a check they owed me, and the just put 'ck' in the subject line.
I can't figure out why that filter in particular was triggered just from the 'ch' by the word "starbucks" that I have listed in the filter. I know that's the word that did it, because I when I removed it, the filter did not get triggered on the 2nd test.
There must be something else triggering it to go to Trash.
As mentionned above all messages with 'Banned Subject' applied end up in the Junk folder.

:idea: If I were you, I certainly would check your incoming and/or pre-download filters, so this wouldn't happen again.
Of course, if this was all that was wrong, I would just move that word and move on. BUT, I would like to know why it behaves that way, so I can make sure my pre-download filters aren't going to do that for other situations as well.
You could always make a pre-download filter to move all messages with the subject 'Starbuck' to trash or automatically let it delete.
My pre-download filters use the banned senders, blank subject, returned mail and some others.
These are set to delete immediately. :lol:

It's easy to make a filter which does the opposite of what you want to do, but it's more difficult to correct this error.

Hope that helps, so good luck with your search. :wink:
Eric

Postby dribnus » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:04 pm

Thank you Eric....I'll play around with it some more. Still not sure why the Banned Subject filter takes those 2 letters and applies the filter b/c of a word longer than that of the subject.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:12 pm

You're most welcome. :wink:
Keep me informed on the progress.
Eric

Postby dribnus » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:32 pm

I'm still running into a problem with this filter. I have this filter running as a 'pre-download' filter. It's referencing the .txt file correctly. But why is it, that a subject with any combination of of letters that may be witihin the listed subject string ie: "prove" will filter the email to trash. If a subject has the word 'prove' in it, it shouldn't be filtered out unless it had the complete string which is "We approved your"
I might be wrong, but it seems like that's the way it should react.
Below is a screen shot of the filter and the actual file it uses.
I would still appreciate any further input. It's probably a simple fix, but so far, it hasn't been simple for me. I have tried using quotes around the phrase and other syntax options, but no luck.

Added note..If I remove the 2 lines that contain 'prove', the filter does not send the email to trash, so it's got to be this filter that's doing it.

dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby FieldDir121 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:29 pm

dribnus,

Copy the entire contents of the file name and path from the filter box "for" to a message.

Also, send the exact and entire path where the text file resides.

I would add that a phrase like "impress her" can activate on innocent messages. One of the reasons I have had no false positives is that I am very selective what I put in the text file. If there is any chance a word or phrase could occur in a message I may want, I do not add it to the text file. This makes my rate of elimination a little lower than it might otherwise be, but I cannot afford to miss a valid message, especially an unexpected one from a customer or potential customer.

Only what is between the asterisks actually appears in the file. The asterisks themselves do not appear.

One of my files looks like this:
<blank line>
[123.456.7.8]
[234.567.8.9]
[68.1.1.1]

Another has words:
<blank line>
Apple
Banana
Carrot
dreadful
edible

Another has company names. This allows anyone in these companies to send me an e-mail.
<blank line>
@IntlWidget.com
@MouseTrapsInc.com
@ChimneySweepers.com

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To