[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Junk Mail Filtering - On Be default

Junk Mail Filtering - On Be default

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Junk Mail Filtering - On Be default

Postby Blyth » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:47 am

Hey,

I have been using Poco Mail for about 18 months now and have been telling Poco whats spam and whats not manually for most of that time.

I would have expected it to be nailing the spam to the correct places by now and it does label 1/2 of them as spam but it wont move or delete them before they hit the inbox.

1) Is Poco mail by default, have any scripting to correctly nail spam to the right places like the delete box or spam folder?

2) Is there a basic "out of of the box" script i can download that will do what question one asks if thats a no?

3) Is their a dummies guide so I can piss this spam off and out of my in box?

I did do a search of the forums before posting.

Many thanks!
Blyth

Re: Junk Mail Filtering - On Be default

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Hi Blyth,
Blyth wrote:I have been using Poco Mail for about 18 months now and have been telling Poco whats spam and whats not manually for most of that time.

I would have expected it to be nailing the spam to the correct places by now and it does label 1/2 of them as spam but it wont move or delete them before they hit the inbox.
Maybe take a look at Why does good email end up in the junkmail?

It really does help reducing Spam. :)
1) Is Poco mail by default, have any scripting to correctly nail spam to the right places like the delete box or spam folder?
Have a look at Check email against DNSBLs (DNS blacklists).
2) Is there a basic "out of of the box" script i can download that will do what question one asks if thats a no?
:?: Don't understand that question, so could you elaborate.
3) Is their a dummies guide so I can piss this spam off and out of my in box?
No dummy guide, but you'll find several tips in this section and other sections. :)
Eric

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:33 pm

Sorry for the poor engrish there. It was very late when I wrote that.

I have largely figured out from the two links what I needed to do.

I've added Hogyt's script and its working just awesome. Its now dectecting whats spam and whats not very nicely.

The issue I do have now is that I use the NEW MAIL tab to view whats just been downloaded. Not only is this tab displaying the good mail but it also shows the junk mail also.

Any way of changing the mail thats viewed in this tab?

I do have a couple of other observation. There needs to be a "concise" sticky that:
a) Explaines what, if any, "out of the box" spam protection Pocomail comes with.
b) How to, or, what options there are to improving the spam filtering.
c) A clear and basic guide on how to do any of the above.

Postby Eric » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:21 am

Blyth wrote:Sorry for the poor engrish there. It was very late when I wrote that.
No problem, it happens to me too. :?
I have largely figured out from the two links what I needed to do.

I've added Hogyt's script and its working just awesome. Its now dectecting whats spam and whats not very nicely.
Good to know. Hogyt's script is very well done and he did put enough time in it to make for us users. :)

The issue I do have now is that I use the NEW MAIL tab to view whats just been downloaded. Not only is this tab displaying the good mail but it also shows the junk mail also.

Any way of changing the mail thats viewed in this tab?
The New Mail tab is just that. It shows ALL mail from the last 24 hours, regardsless whether it's HAM or SPAM.
I do have a couple of other observation. There needs to be a "concise" sticky that:
a) Explaines what, if any, "out of the box" spam protection Pocomail comes with.
Poco comes with some built-in spam filters and a bayesian filter, which has to learn from your mail.
b) How to, or, what options there are to improving the spam filtering.
I can only explain my method, because that may vary from user to user.
1. Regular contacts are created, so they won't end up in Junk.
2. Newsletter and others are accepted as 'Allow sender/Domain'
3. Some filters like the one mentioned above.
4. Letting Poco learn from your mail and experimenting with the settings which work best for you.
c) A clear and basic guide on how to do any of the above.
There isn't a basic guide on how to do it. Users receive lots of spam, but it mostly different from what others receive. :?
Do look up some other topics here. :wink:
Eric

Postby Blyth » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:42 pm

Eric,

Thanks for the follow up and keeping on this thread!

Is there any way to turn off the Virus warning when opening attachments?

And thats the last question - promise :)

Ta!
Blyth
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:44 am

Blyth wrote:Eric,
Thanks for the follow up and keeping on this thread!
You're welcome Blyth.
Is there any way to turn off the Virus warning when opening attachments?
Tools > Options > Advanced > Interface Options. :)
And thats the last question - promise :)
You're sure it's the last one. :lol: :wink:
Eric

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To