[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Opening Barca from desktop

Opening Barca from desktop

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby mig62 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:57 pm

I have Poco 3 and Barca installed. Both work fine except when I try to open Barca from my desk top shortcut it opens Poco. It is not a big problem because I can open it from the tool bar but I am wondering if it is because of something I did in the installation or am I overlooking something. Thank you for any help.
mig62

Postby Jose » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:15 pm

Did you install Barca in the same directory of PocoMail?

I frecuently use both as well but in different directories and the desktop's shortcuts link properly to the programs.

Regards.
Jose

Re: Opening Barca from desktop

Postby robin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:06 pm

mig62 wrote:I have Poco 3 and Barca installed. Both work fine except when I try to open Barca from my desk top shortcut it opens Poco. It is not a big problem because I can open it from the tool bar but I am wondering if it is because of something I did in the installation or am I overlooking something. Thank you for any help.
This suggests that the "Barca" shortcut is actually pointing to the "Poco" executable file. Right click the shortcut, choose properties and check that the target file is barca.exe.
robin

Opening barca from desktop

Postby mig62 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:27 am

Thank you for your suggestions. They are in my program files but in different directories. I checked the shortcut and it points to Barca. Like I said, I can still open it from the tool bar so it is not a big deal. I shut my computer down at night and when I open Barca and Poco in the morning from the shortcuts they open just fine. It is just after they are first opened that I have the problem with Barca.
mig62

Re: Opening barca from desktop

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:04 am

mig62 wrote: It is just after they are first opened that I have the problem with Barca.
Can you be more specific. What exactly is running and what not?
and what do you do when the Barca shortcut opens Poco?
Are you using any command line arguments?
robin

Postby mig62 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:14 am

Right after I boot my computer I start both Poco and Barca and they open just fine. It is after that when I open Barca that Poco opens up. I am fairly new at this and you will have to explain what you mean by command line arguments. I appreciate your help.
mig62

Re: Opening Barca from desktop

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:21 am

mig62 wrote:Right after I boot my computer I start both Poco and Barca and they open just fine. It is after that when I open Barca that Poco opens up. I am fairly new at this and you will have to explain what you mean by command line arguments. I appreciate your help.
No problem - that is what we are here for. Command line arguments are words added to the instruction that actually loads the program.
Code: Select all
Barca.exe /c /g
In this example the "/c /g" are command line arguments but it seems likely you are not using them.

Right after you boot your computer, do you start Poco and Barca automatically from the start-up folder?
Or do you click individually on a link or shortcut for each one?
Why do you start both Poco and Barca - you don't need them both since Barca does all that Poco does?

Does it open a new copy of Poco, or merely show the one that is running at the moment? [if you look into the system tray at the right hand side of the task bar, do you see more than one icon for Poco?]
robin

Postby mig62 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:35 am

I open them individuallly from shortcuts on my start menu. I use Poco as my email and Barca as my wife's email and our calendar, etc. There is an icon for Poco and Barca in the system tray. You are right, I do not think I am using command line arguments. Is it something I should be doing or , as a beginner, should I just leave it alone?
mig62

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:21 am

Nailed it - I've recreated the problem exactly on my machine - this is a problem with Barca and a hangover from the PocoMail core.

PocoMail is designed to run only one copy of itself. If you try to start PocoMail again then it looks to see if it is already running - if it is then it brings that copy to the top.

Clearly Barca should be looking for a copy of Barca - which it does - but it seems to find PocoMail as well if that is running.

I'll post a bug in BugTraction but in the meantime you'll have to work around it.
robin

Postby mig62 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:00 am

No problem. Thank you for your help.
mig62

Return to Barca Help and How-To