[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT Can't stop this!!

SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT Can't stop this!!

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT Can't stop this!!

Postby flynt06 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:49 am

I have tried various filters and banning the words, phrase etc but just cannot stop this rubbish!

The messages vary in detail and sender but always have SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT as the first part of the title. Why don't my filters work?

I used to use Thunderbird and it's taught filters dealt with this reliably in no time.
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Re: SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT Can't stop this!!

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi Flynt,
flynt06 wrote:I have tried various filters and banning the words, phrase etc but just cannot stop this rubbish!
Don't know which filter you created, but mine worked, so it could be used as a pre-download filter too. :)
The messages vary in detail and sender but always have SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT as the first part of the title. Why don't my filters work?
Tried it with Banned Subjects, but that didn't mark it as Junk. :?
You could however create an incoming filter to increase the junk score on that subject.
However my filter above eliminates these all together. 8)
I used to use Thunderbird and it's taught filters dealt with this reliably in no time.
Well, that's TB but Poco's Junk Mail filtering needs a bit more time to learn about these messages.
Some do have good results, I do in any case, because no Junk comes in my In folder.
Others do have less good results, but then again not every body gets the same spam.

Not my speciality here, but I do hope it helps. :wink:

Edit: image no longer exists
Last edited by Eric on Sat May 27, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Weird, I put a +100 on the words in my banned words list and it took care of it right away. Are you sure the words are text and not an image? I have issues with some spam sending through images with the junk and the filter will jut not get it.

Also, check the raw message and see how it is coming through. Some of the drug adds space them out in tables and I had to work around those issues.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:29 am

It might also be that while the letters *appear* to say SEXUALLY EXPLICIT in the ASCII character set, one or more of them may actually be in a different character set and thus don't match PocoMail's filter.
robin

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:35 am

robin wrote:It might also be that while the letters *appear* to say SEXUALLY EXPLICIT in the ASCII character set, one or more of them may actually be in a different character set and thus don't match PocoMail's filter.

Good point, never even thought about that.

Brian

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:12 am

I am probably totally missing the point, but I do not use the ban subject method because you never know when some friend is going to use the words.

For instance, a lot of spam will have "hello" or "good morning" and some punster is liable to put a sex joke line in the subject, although I have not had that yet.

I ban the address and so far I average about two spams a day in my inbox, out of 150 or so total.

Those that get in the inbox get there for two reasons: Because DBSNL will occasionaly time out when the CPU is running at a very high rate, so I try to avoid heavy CPU users when downloading email.

And because every now and then a spammer will have the perfect email address and not yet be on the DBSNL hit lists. One of those every few days is to be expected.

Adding a ban the subject filter might catch those, but it is also likely to catch something you don't want it to catch.

CSSJR

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To