[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - AVG anti-virus and Poco

AVG anti-virus and Poco

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

AVG anti-virus and Poco

Postby fpow44 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:03 am

Does anyone have experience with setting up AVG Anti-Virus (v. 7.1, published by Grisoft) to work with Poco 3.4?

Norton AV did a good job of checking my incoming and outgoing mail for virus (at least I think it did), but I'm having trouble getting AVG to do the same thing. Any help? Thanks.

--Fred Powledge

~Moved to Email Hall ... Eric ~
fpow44
Poco Tourist

AVG

Postby pairofhearts » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:09 am

......have you COMPLETELY uninstalled Norton?
.........and make yourself a Great Day! Cheers, Lyle
pairofhearts
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:46 am

Do have a look at Using the Norton uninstall tool.

For more information take a look at Leftover bits of Norton. :?

If any traces left from Norton it can interfere when installing another antivirus. :?
Eric

Postby jaxgtr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:27 pm

I have it and it works great. Not a problem in 2 years. What issues are you experiencing?

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

AVG anti-virus and Poco

Postby fpow44 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:28 am

My symptoms are: With AVG e-mail scan turned on, I cannot connect to my POP3 server (Earthlink). AVG's little message box ("connecting to server...") goes into an endless loop that can be stopped only by a reset. I've corresponded with AVG about this (very quick replies!) and they think it's a Norton conflict. I had left Norton Internet Security on my computer, but "disabled," until I see that AVG really works.

So my next move will be to completely (?) remove Norton. I checked my registry and there are 549 entries with "Norton" in their names. It's going to be an interesting day. (I assume the Norton uninstall tool doesn't really work, since little that Norton makes does.)

Thanks, everybody, for the help.
--Fred Powledge
fpow44
Poco Tourist

Re: AVG anti-virus and Poco

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:47 am

Hi Fred,
fpow44 wrote:So my next move will be to completely (?) remove Norton. I checked my registry and there are 549 entries with "Norton" in their names. It's going to be an interesting day. (I assume the Norton uninstall tool doesn't really work, since little that Norton makes does.)
As posted above you need to remove every trace of Norton from your system before installing another antivirus.

First download the SYMNRT tool from Symantec, uninstall AVG afterwards.

Disconnect from the internet and start the tool.
Reboot afterwards and use a good registry cleaner like RegSupreme, Ace Utilities or TuneUp Utilities.
:!: Let it make a backup of what it finds prior to deleting/fixing those problems.
Also check that no folders, drivers, executables are left from Norton.

Reboot again, reinstall AVG and reboot.

The removal tool works, but can break your Windows update, as posted in the previous link to Wilders, so be prepared. :shock:

From my own experience I know that Symantec products are really hard to remove from your system,
because it installs a lot into your registry, startup and drive. :?

Good luck with it :wink:
Last edited by Eric on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

RE: AVG anti-virus and Poco

Postby fpow44 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:01 am

Thanks again for all the help, not to mention the warnings. This looks like yet another reason to get rid of Norton, drive a stake through its heart, and never look back at it. If it wrecks my Windows updates, I think I'll go further and take out a full-page ad in The New York Times warning people--or I will when I get the money.

--Fred
fpow44
Poco Tourist

Re: RE: AVG anti-virus and Poco

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:53 am

fpow44 wrote:Thanks again for all the help, not to mention the warnings.
My pleasure Fred. :wink:
This looks like yet another reason to get rid of Norton, drive a stake through its heart, and never look back at it.
Already got rid of it and I'll never return to it. :P
If it wrecks my Windows updates, I think I'll go further and take out a full-page ad in The New York Times warning people--or I will when I get the money.
:lol: It could give problems, but not with everyone.

Let us know if it worked out fine. :wink:
Eric

Postby jaxgtr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:32 pm

fpow44 wrote:Thanks again for all the help, not to mention the warnings. This looks like yet another reason to get rid of Norton, drive a stake through its heart, and never look back at it. If it wrecks my Windows updates, I think I'll go further and take out a full-page ad in The New York Times warning people--or I will when I get the money.

--Fred

You are preaching to the choir on this one my friend. Norton AV completely ruin my system and after I rebuilt it, I vowed never to send them anymore of my hard earned money.

I've been using Registry First Aid and it has worked really well for me. Have not tried the others that Eric mentioned. Good luck.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Uninstall Norton, add AVG

Postby pairofhearts » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:37 am

some further info re Norton.......

Go to Start/ Run then enter regedit to start the registry editor then go to Edit and do a Find on Norton then delete the key.
Depress the F3 key (Repeat Find) and delete the Many entries that are left over from the un-install.
Go back to the top of the registry and repeat for Symantec.
.........and make yourself a Great Day! Cheers, Lyle
pairofhearts
Resident Poster

Re: Uninstall Norton, add AVG

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:42 am

pairofhearts wrote:some further info re Norton.......

Go to Start/ Run then enter regedit to start the registry editor then go to Edit and do a Find on Norton then delete the key.
Depress the F3 key (Repeat Find) and delete the Many entries that are left over from the un-install.
Go back to the top of the registry and repeat for Symantec.
:!: Warning with this method.
Make sure to backup your registry prior to deleting anything inside.

I still would recommend Symantec's removal tool, instead of venturing into the registry.
If you know what you're doing, then it's fine, otherwise don't go there.
Eric

RE: AVG anti-virus and Poco

Postby fpow44 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:06 am

Thanks to absolutely everybody (and there are many of you) who helped me out on this problem. For the record, here is what I did:

1. Got the Symantec Norton removal utility. Fought repeatedly with it to get a clean download. This gave me great assurance that I was truly dealing with a Symantec product.

2. Ran the removal utility. It hung twice before really running. Again, I was assured that I was dealing with Symantec.

3. Used RegSeeker (thanks to recommendations on this thread) to smoke out Norton in all its nasty little hiding places. Killed them all (after making registry backups, of course).

4. Reinstalled and ran AVG 7.1. It worked beautifully. It scans my mail nicely.

5. Found, at the end of the day, that when I wanted to do my twice-a-week mirror, DriveImage 7 (owned when I bought it several years ago by PowerQuest) would not run.

6. Recalled that PowerQuest was recently sucked up by someone else--I seem to remember it was Symantec. Wondered if Symantec had somehow gotten word that I had been talking bad about its products and consorting with other Poco users who talked equally bad about it.

7. Went to sleep.

8. Woke up this morning, uninstalled DriveImage 7, started to reinstall it, then realized that it was still on my computer. Started it; it seems to run fine, though I have not yet tried to do a mirror with it.

9. Anticipated having a Norton-free day today, except I may need to ask you folks for recommendations for another mirroring program, preferably an inexpensive one.

Thanks again.

--Fred
fpow44
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:04 am

fpow44 wrote:Thanks to absolutely everybody (and there are many of you) who helped me out on this problem.
Our pleasure helping you with this problem Fred. :wink:
3. Used RegSeeker (thanks to recommendations on this thread) to smoke out Norton in all its nasty little hiding places. Killed them all (after making registry backups, of course).
Don't recall mentioning this one, although it's a good one.
4. Reinstalled and ran AVG 7.1. It worked beautifully. It scans my mail nicely.
Good to hear it's working now, since all traces of Norton have been removed.
As such there's no interference, conflicts anymore. :P
9. Anticipated having a Norton-free day today, except I may need to ask you folks for recommendations for another mirroring program, preferably an inexpensive one.
Don't know if you'll find an inexpensive one, but I'm using True Image 8 which works like a charm.
Haven't tried version 9 yet, because of the problems reported. :?
If it works, why change it. :roll:

Hope you'll enjoy using AVG. :wink:
Eric

Postby jaxgtr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:21 pm

I have used DriveImage since Version 1 and loved it. Unfortunately the evil lords at Symantec consumed it and then sent it to the bottom of the ocean to implode a horrible death.

I see that True Image now supports 64 bit, so I will wait til they work out their issues and I will give it a try.

Brian
jaxgtr
Poco Enthusiast

Postby fpow44 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:35 pm

In a desperate attempt to get rid of all things Symantec, I bought Acronis 9 today. It was hell to download (on a dialup connection), but now I have it and will be installing it in a few minutes. Their forum says the publishers have acknowledged problems with Version 9 and, they say, have fixed it with build 2337. That's the build they're offering now, and the one I got. We'll see.

--Fred
fpow44
Poco Tourist

Next

Return to Email Hall