[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Junk Mail Filtering

Junk Mail Filtering

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Junk Mail Filtering

Postby GHaavy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:29 am

Hi,

I've had the chance to use Barca for a few weeks now (love this program) but I must not be doing something correct when it comes to the junk mail filtering controls.

I've been using it on a web-based email account, and every so often it will inadvertantly re-download messages saved on the server. I've noticed that many emails I've already manually classified as junk will not be classified as junk when downloaded for the second time.

It seems as though it takes many more attempts than it should to train Barca to classify certain email as junk, and others as non-junk. Are there settings I can change to make this process more accurate?

Regards,

Grant
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby GHaavy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:33 am

I'm going to bump this with another question.

I must be missing something very basic :oops: but is there a way to automatically delete junk mail from the server even though I have the account set to leave messages on the server?

Thanks,

Grant
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby huntnyc » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:39 am

I see under Junk settings and the General tab, an option to run filters before downloading mail. Is this what you want?

Gary
huntnyc

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:59 am

Hi Grant,
GHaavy wrote:I must be missing something very basic :oops: but is there a way to automatically delete junk mail from the server even though I have the account set to leave messages on the server?
Set a pre-download filter to delete banned senders/domains, so it's automatically deleted on the next mail check.
:idea: If you want to delete automatically Junkmail from server, there's an option in the Barca.ini.
On default it's set to: JunkDelete=1, but if you change that to JunkDelete=0, then it's automatically deleted on checking mail.
A bit risky, but you can always try it out, if you want this. :wink:
Eric

Postby GHaavy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:04 am

Hi Gary,

At this point, I have my main account set up such that messages are left on the server. Junk mail filtering is on, sending my designated junk mail to the junk mail folder.

I then go through that junk mail, making any corrections and moving non-junk to my inbox.

The junk mail folder is then emptied, deleting these remaining messages from my system.

Once I empty the junk mail folder, I would like to have Barca automatically delete those same messages from my mail server, the next time it connects.

Is this possible?

- Grant
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby GHaavy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:13 am

Eric wrote:Set a pre-download filter to delete banned senders/domains, so it's automatically deleted on the next mail check.
:idea: If you want to delete automatically Junkmail from server, there's an option in the Barca.ini.
On default it's set to: JunkDelete=1, but if you change that to JunkDelete=0, then it's automatically deleted on checking mail.
A bit risky, but you can always try it out, if you want this. :wink:
Thanks Eric... but I don't yet trust Barca to determine what is junk and what is not, so I would like the option of going through it first. Then when it's removed from junk mail, it would automatically be deleted from the server during the next check.

Incidentally, Mozilla mail has this feature. :oops:

- Grant
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby MonBidoux » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:09 pm

GHaavy wrote:I'm going to bump this with another question.

I must be missing something very basic :oops: but is there a way to automatically delete junk mail from the server even though I have the account set to leave messages on the server?

Thanks,

Grant

Do you mean Tools/Junk Mail Filtering/General settings doesn't work for you?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Newsletter

Postby MonBidoux » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:13 pm

Another question ...

Shouldn't "classify as good" (or "file as junk") overrided or be automatically added to Junk Mail Filtering rules?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby GHaavy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:03 am

Hi Mon Bidoux

For some reason, it seems that "Leave on Server" seems to be overriding the junk mail controls??

As I said above, I have re-downloaded mail from my web email account (I'm not sure why, but it seems like something in the email client gets reset every once in a while and decides to re-download all of the stored messages)... at which point, those messages manually classified as junk are re-downloaded. This means they weren't deleted after being manually classified..

Furthermore, they are STILL classified as good, when they are downloaded for the second time... which I find odd behaviour.

Thanks for your response,

Grant
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To