[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Which AV to use?

Which AV to use?

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:56 am

Thanks Markb for the input & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
KAV whoever is not free. :?

Here's another free AV: ClamWin
and it was discussed at Wilders Security Forum.
Eric

Anti-virus

Postby simon_e » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:36 am

I use NOD32 and found it easy to install and very, very effective in use. See http://www.nod32uk.com/products/products.htm
It is isn't free, but it is small and very fast when doing a full scan. And it just worked with Pocomail out of the box. It updates its virus definitions automatically at a schedule you set and just keeps on working ('course now I've said that it'll all go pear-shaped :)

Simon
simon_e
New Arrival

Re: Anti-virus

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:21 am

Hi Simon & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
simon_e wrote:I use NOD32 and found it easy to install and very, very effective in use.
Thanks for your input.
I haven't tried NOD32 yet, but from what I've read, it doesn't use a lot of resources and has great heuristic detection. Currently there's a new version in Beta.
Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days. :wink:
Eric

Postby bareges » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:51 am

Hi all,
FWIW I run with Robin on this one - having very happily used Norton AV 2003 till subscription eventually gave out having extended too many times I naively bought NAV 2004 thinking '04 must be better than 03 - in my case not true ..........comprehensively crashed my system, stalled, caused aborted shutdowns, extra lengthy start ups ................needed something better luckily I came across Kaspersky which as Robin says " does precisely what it says on the tin". Can't really ask for more than that.

Regards

Charles
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:00 am

Hi Charles & welcome back. :D
bareges wrote:I came across Kaspersky which as Robin says " does precisely what it says on the tin". Can't really ask for more than that.
Robin was right about that. It does the job for me too and it's not as expensive as NAV. Further more it updates every hour without a glitch. :wink:
Eric

Postby robin » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:22 am

Actually.....I've just rolled back my installed version of KAV5 from 5.0.149 to 5.0.142. The reason? I was having some strange effects and I didn't know what to put it down to:

KAV was using all the CPU time it could
It hadn't updated for several days
It had stopped scanning e-mails
I couldn't get the front-end application to load
Barca was taking *forever* to check and send e-mails (although SimpleCheck, that I use for monitoring a number of POP accounts for new mails, seemed fine).

All this started at about the same time as I installed PM beta 1965. Co-incidence? I don't know. Anyway, I'm back up now - let you know if anything more happens.
Last edited by robin on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
robin

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:32 am

:shock: Sorry to hear, Robin.
No problems at my end with version KAV 5.0.149 & I also have PM beta 1965 installed.
:roll: Maybe something else that's interfering. Keep us posted.
Eric

Re: Which AV to use?

Postby Zev0 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:25 pm

Eric wrote:Hi vlais & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
vlais wrote:You guys have more expirience with PocoMail, can anybody tell me which AV software is best with Poco? And of cource, better free AV.

You could always try Avast Home edition.
Just a word of caution: don't use the in & outgoing notifications, as it could result to receiving blank messages.
Other members will maybe post other free antivirus.

That's odd. I've just began to try Pocomail with AvastPro, and I use notifications on both incoming and outgoing. I've noticed no problems whatsoever. Works like a champ.
Zev0
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Which AV to use?

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:33 pm

Hi Zev0 & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
Zev0 wrote: That's odd. I've just began to try Pocomail with AvastPro, and I use notifications on both incoming and outgoing. I've noticed no problems whatsoever. Works like a champ.
I said, it could result to ...
Maybe something got fixed.
Anyhow I'm glad you're not experiencing problems with the Pro-version.
Have fun with Poco. :wink:
Eric

Postby treigel » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:37 am

scottm wrote:With AVG, you have to use the personal e-mail scanner and config it manually. It's not that hard.

I had posted instructions in the old forum

I'm trying to set up the 30-day free trial of AVG 7.0, and have their detailed instructions. But I'm hung up on entering the port number in PocoMail. Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks.
treigel
Drop-in Visitor

Postby speerga » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:06 pm

You put port number changes in the account setup after a
colon pop server name:

mail.ispserver.com:5111
or
127.0.0.1:5111

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby treigel » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:36 pm

speerga wrote:You put port number changes in the account setup after a
colon pop server name:

Thanks much! That's just what I needed - it worked perfectly. :lol:
treigel
Drop-in Visitor

Which AV?

Postby alanpitts » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:30 am

I have for years used AVG 6 without problems, however AVG 7 needs a lot more manual configuration. I now use NOD32 (www.nod32uk.com), which I believe Microsoft use to scan their products before release? An excellent AV, faster than other mainstrem AV's and v.v. effective.

Alan
alanpitts
New Arrival

Re: Which AV?

Postby treigel » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:57 am

alanpitts wrote:I have for years used AVG 6 without problems, however AVG 7 needs a lot more manual configuration. I now use NOD32 (www.nod32uk.com), which I believe Microsoft use to scan their products before release? An excellent AV, faster than other mainstrem AV's and v.v. effective.

I, too, tried AVG 7 and found it problematic -- it has very bad "manners" during updates - it puts a window on top of everything stopping all other work until the update is done, and seemed to be associated with system instability. At least the system seemed to hang up after every system scan.

But I'm not finding NOD32 much more likable. I can't configure it so it actually works with PicoMail. The problem is I can't find a way to set it to automatically delete the virus and proceed with the downloading of mail. It seems to insist that I manually tell it to delete the virus, in the meantime holding up receipt of all other messages and causing PocoMail to time out the download.

Terry Reigel
treigel
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Which AV?

Postby Hogyt » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:21 am

Hi Terry,

treigel wrote:But I'm not finding NOD32 much more likable. I can't configure it so it actually works with PicoMail. The problem is I can't find a way to set it to automatically delete the virus and proceed with the downloading of mail. It seems to insist that I manually tell it to delete the virus, in the meantime holding up receipt of all other messages and causing PocoMail to time out the download.

Go to the NOD32 Control Center and click on Setup in the IMON section. Then go to Miscellaneous->Setup->Actions and select Delete in the sections you want and it should work as you wish. fwiw i used NAV 2003 until a month ago when i switched to NOD32 and haven't looked back yet :)
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Email Hall